Mountain Project Logo

Castle Peak Bouldering Conditions

Bouldiban TK · · Reno, NV · Joined Sep 2019 · Points: 0
Reese Stanley wrote:

Honestly, I'd totally go if I had snow shoes.  I live in the bay so, I don't have quite as much of a need for them here.  Though, now that I'm back in the state (went to TX for school), I might invest in some since I go climbing almost every weekend and Tahoe is my favorite place.  

Thanks for the insight into the areas, I can't say I'm a huge fan of crumbling granite though, Pimp Juice is something I've wanted to hop on for a second.  Any areas with higher quality rock that you'd recommend?  

I have all the guidebooks but, I'm still working on exploring different areas of Tahoe.  Thus far, I've done the Saddle Boulders, White Lines Area, Girls on Film Area, Rainbow, The Emeralds and Castle Peak.

Pimp juice is mega and definitely worth it: reddit.com/r/bouldering/com…;

Woodfords is dry and in good shape. I thick summit lake has some classics as well--Purple sticky punch and tequila sunset are mega as well. Boreal has maximum overdrive and campfire arete sit--both classics and you can also stand under Outer Limits for inspiration. Summit lake and Boreal will need snowshoes. Lover's Leap is likely good and closer to the bay. If its lake level or below then its likely dry. 
Reese Stanley · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 90
Bouldiban TK wrote:

Pimp juice is mega and definitely worth it: reddit.com/r/bouldering/com…;

Woodfords is dry and in good shape. I thick summit lake has some classics as well--Purple sticky punch and tequila sunset are mega as well. Boreal has maximum overdrive and campfire arete sit--both classics and you can also stand under Outer Limits for inspiration. Summit lake and Boreal will need snowshoes. Lover's Leap is likely good and closer to the bay. If its lake level or below then its likely dry. 

Yeah, it looks fucking amazing.  I didn't realize the slab was the hardest part of the climb though it isn't surprising at all.  Looks super fun.  

Thanks for the tips, definitely going to do some digging in my guidebook before figuring out where to go.  
Lurker · · Truckee, CA · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 4,071

Bliss is absolutely not garbage.

Edit: I'm not a boulder, what do I know. It's better than Pie Shop at least. 

Karl Walters · · Oakland, CA · Joined May 2017 · Points: 20

The rock sucks and there isn’t much of note there. Upper Pie Shop has Pimp Juice at least. There’s about 2 lines worth doing in Bliss at all. It’s not good at any grade compared to other Tahoe rock. Zephyrs are a third place for worst quality 

Bouldiban TK · · Reno, NV · Joined Sep 2019 · Points: 0
Lurker wrote: Bliss is absolutely not garbage.

Edit: I'm not a boulder, what do I know. It's better than Pie Shop at least. 

Lol. I must not be as discerning as Karl! I do think its crazy the variability in Tahoe granite. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Castle Peak Bouldering Conditions"