Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

Homemade portaledge

Original Post
Up Yours · · Fascist Kalifornia · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 11

I have still shots I can't seem to post.  Total cost $160.00 without carry bag or fly. Under ten pounds.
https://youtu.be/423TBnRk514

Pete.N · · Santa Cruz, CA · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 26

Looks good! What did you make it out of? Any plans for a fly?

Mark Hudon · · Lives on the road · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 415

The link doesn’t work for me

Big B · · Sin City, NV · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 1

Kauait · · Sandy Utah · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 0

$160.00 Trap door!
Worth a try!

Pete.N wrote: Looks good! What did you make it out of? Any plans for a fly?

It's 1.5 inch pvc for the frame.

I will beef it up with additional straps.  My fly will simply be a medium weight tarp large enough to fold over and under.
I wouldn't take this on El Cap.  Just a short wall like the prow.
Ron O · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0

I know how you can save money on anchors.

See the Tin Cup whiskey ad.

Ron O wrote: I know how you can save money on anchors.

See the Tin Cup whiskey ad.

Rack I got.

The ledge is a hard sell to my wife and...She is not so....
Russ Walling · · www.FishProducts.com · Joined Oct 2004 · Points: 3,231
Alex Barlow wrote:

It's 1.5 inch pvc for the frame.

I will beef it up with additional straps.  My fly will simply be a medium weight tarp large enough to fold over and under.
I wouldn't take this on El Cap.  Just a short wall like the prow.

I've plucked a few guys off the Prow for weather reasons... A couple almost drowned and a couple were as good as frozen... a tarp is good but a real bivy sack will keep you alive.  Getting an accurate weather report is about 100X better than a bivy sack.  Even the worst weatherman can do a two day forecast.  Fix, blast, bivy, off.... 

Russ Walling wrote:

I've plucked a few guys off the Prow for weather reasons... A couple almost drowned and a couple were as good as frozen... a tarp is good but a real bivy sack will keep you alive.  Getting an accurate weather report is about 100X better than a bivy sack.  Even the worst weatherman can do a two day forecast.  Fix, blast, bivy, off.... 

Yes sir. A bivy sack was unstated as that's as important as toilet paper up there.

I lucked in to a partner and he intends to buy a D4 or another that becomes available.

I'm seriously inclined to buy a Fish econoledge and abandon my pvc contraption.   I'm hoping to see those cams and my wall lit soon, lol.  I'm the guy pestering you on Facebook messenger about the cam repair and misc. order.

I fully endorse Fish Big Wall .
Mark Hudon · · Lives on the road · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 415

So these two guys go down to Yosemite from Portland, Oregon with a home made ledge. The one guy is an engineer and had designed and built the ledge. He had “tested” it in his garage.
They took 10 days off from their jobs, their wifes, their kids.
They got to Yosemite and spent two days humping to the base and fixing pitches on the NA Wall. They jugged their ropes and spent a day climbing on El Cap, happy as clams.
They set up the ledge, got on, had dinner and went to sleep. During the night, the ledge started to bend and fold up. They evacuated it and spent the rest of the night in their butt bags and rapped off the next day.

To me, and I’m retired, live in a van and don’t have to work, I don’t want to waste time TRYING to climb a wall, I want to just go do it. Even though I have all the time in the world, I don’t want to waste any of the time I have left, I don’t experiment with mission critical items.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Homemade portaledge"
in the Big Wall and Aid Climbing