Mountain Project Logo

Piru Creek Bouldering area

Original Post
Joel Wainwright · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2018 · Points: 0

Hey All, was looking for a little info on the piru bouldering area off of I5. I am making a trip up to Shasta from Phx and needed a place to stop and hopefully boulder on the way. I figure I can make it to this area just over 6 hours from my place in phx. Is it worth a stop for some bouldering and a overnight stay before hitting the road up north? Does anyone have any maps of the area for problems?
Any info is much appreciated!
Thanks
Joel

Aidan Mahoney · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 326

Hey Joel, sorry I haven't looked at this thing in a while. Honestly it's not the best spot in the summer,  if you manage to get decent conditions it's more than worth it. I've developed hundreds of problems but haven't made a proper guide or map. Most of the boulders are up the creek past the gate at the base of the damn. Lots of sandstone boulders. Feel free to call me if ou have any questions. 661-476-7679 - Aidan 

Joel Wainwright · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2018 · Points: 0

Thanks for the reply. I ended up stopping off for a few hours at Stoney point. I will definitely check out Piru if I drive through during a cooler time of year.
Joel

Kevin Mokracek · · Burbank · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 240

There is a lot of stone in the Piru Creek area.  I used to kayak the section between Frenchman Flat and Lake Piru, lots of cool boulders and walls down in that canyon.  

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 310
Joel Wainwright wrote: Thanks for the reply. I ended up stopping off for a few hours at Stoney point. I will definitely check out Piru if I drive through during a cooler time of year.
Joel

Stoney Point.... a definitely better place to stop. 

You might try “Wagon Wheel” by Ridgecrest next time... great granite boulders, OK to free camp and you can go over HWY 178 and join I5/99. Don’t look at boulders along 178.... they’re just illusions. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Piru Creek Bouldering area"
in the Southern California