Mountain Project Logo

Phantom spires conditions

Original Post
kendallt · · Tahoe · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 113

Anyone been up to the phantom spires in Tahoe and know how much snow does/doesn't exist on the road?

GizzardJones · · Rancho Cordova,CA · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 385

Zero. Go get it

Emmanuel Lacoste · · Bullhead City, AZ · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 6

How is the road now? I know it chance from month to month. Headed up with a mini van. Maybe?

rafael · · Berkeley, CA · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 50
Emmanuel Lacoste wrote: How is the road now? I know it chance from month to month. Headed up with a mini van. Maybe?

weathers been warm, but even in the best conditions a minivan might not make it all the way down the road. Is it high clearance? theres a spot partway down the road that you can back up to if things get hairy, and its not a bad walk from there

Emmanuel Lacoste · · Bullhead City, AZ · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 6

Thanks. Last time I went up was in a F150, guess the road hasn't changed much.

kendallt · · Tahoe · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 113

When I was there last month "normal" cars were in the parking lot. You might make it with some careful driving. I think the road conditions haven't changed much since last year.

rafael · · Berkeley, CA · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 50
kendallt wrote: When I was there last month "normal" cars were in the parking lot. You might make it with some careful driving. I think the road conditions haven't changed much since last year.

Yeah, I did it in a civic a while back and vowed never to again

mpech · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 2

Drove to final parking lot two weeks ago in a Honda CR-V, no problems. Seemed doable in a normal car. 

Josh Cameron · · California · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 1,120

I used to drive that road all the time in my 90 Honda Accord. I had to take it slow for the first rocky stretch but then after that my only problem was scratching my bee-utiful paint on the white thorn.
However, off-road, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Phantom spires conditions"
in the Northern California