Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

Life is short...

Original Post
Nate Tastic · · Sutter Creek · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 10

Apparently, Rock and Ice thinks I should have an affair!

Then they'd like it if I'd take a survey:

http://rockandice.com/climbing-news/survey-sexual-harassment-and-assault-in-climbing/
R P Finney · · Lafayette, Colorado · Joined May 2007 · Points: 0

They don't call it "cock and lice" for nothing.  

jg fox · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 5
Nate Tastic wrote: Apparently, Rock and Ice thinks I should have an affair!

Then they'd like it if I'd take a survey:

http://rockandice.com/climbing-news/survey-sexual-harassment-and-assault-in-climbing/

Maybe it is based off your browsing history... or your wife's.

Elvis Leg · · Taipei, TW · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 15

A product of your browsing history and search relevance.  Clear history, clear cache and delete this post before the wife finds out.  Just a tip...

...that can also be what you tell your wife, "it was just the tip."

You guys really think I'd post this if I had something to hide? Also, I'm not married.

It's the words in the title and article itself and Rock and Ice's Google Adsense settings are probably fairly lax.

David Kerkeslager · · New Paltz, NY · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 124

They probably don't even know what ads are displayed on their site, they just pull ads from an ad network. Which doesn't excuse it--they're still willingly giving business to ad networks that do this stuff. And ads for affair websites are not even the worst thing that ad networks serve up: spyware, bitcoin miners that steal your electricity, ransomware, keyloggers, all kinds of viruses. And it's all ad networks, because to compete in that business, you need to resell ads from other ad networks and ads get resold so many times that nobody even knows where they came from. And since ads work on clicks, the sites that make the most money are the ones that are addictive and clickbait-y, and real quality content gets underfunded. There's no such thing as an ethical ad network: at its best the very concept of an ad is manipulation to get you to do things you don't want to do on your own, and ad networks that attempt to do this with a reasonable modicum of decency go out of business.

I'd be happy to pay a dollar or two for subscription or donation-based content, but that business model is not available for most things. But I refuse to support the immoral and toxic ad-based businesses. I adblock 100% of the time, report ads that slip past blockers, and don't use sites that don't let me access their content without viewing ads.

David Kerkeslager wrote: They probably don't even know what ads are displayed on their site, they just pull ads from an ad network. Which doesn't excuse it--they're still willingly giving business to ad networks that do this stuff. And ads for affair websites are not even the worst thing that ad networks serve up: spyware, bitcoin miners that steal your electricity, ransomware, keyloggers, all kinds of viruses. And it's all ad networks, because to compete in that business, you need to resell ads from other ad networks and ads get resold so many times that nobody even knows where they came from. And since ads work on clicks, the sites that make the most money are the ones that are addictive and clickbait-y, and real quality content gets underfunded. There's no such thing as an ethical ad network: at its best the very concept of an ad is manipulation to get you to do things you don't want to do on your own, and ad networks that attempt to do this with a reasonable modicum of decency go out of business.

I'd be happy to pay a dollar or two for subscription or donation-based content, but that business model is not available for most things. But I refuse to support the immoral and toxic ad-based businesses. I adblock 100% of the time, report ads that slip past blockers, and don't use sites that don't let me access their content without viewing ads.
For some reason, I turned Ghostery off the other day on R&I. I'm sure it's tracking me and selling my every move too but, it's better than seeing this:

http://take.ms/gW749

What are they selling sex offender lists or something? People want their kids to be safe so they'll pay the money for this stuff? I mean, they have to pay the ad networks somehow so they must be selling something.

Anyway...
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Life is short..."
in the General Climbing