Mountain Project Logo

Sacrilege ( bolt chopper )

Original Post
Alex Barlow · · Santee, CA · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 0

It is appalling that a modern era climber would find his opinion more important than a Royal Robbins.

A certain zealot vandalized an historic route and should be charged with a crime or at least called to the carpet and shunned by the community.

Hats off to the crew that restored W.E.M L.

Thank you.

Tom Stryker · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 250

I'm confused. Didn't Robbins think his opinion was more important than the F.A. party? Or to put it another way..." a certain zealot vandalized an historic route " and uh...then sold a really lot of outdoor clothing !

jg fox · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 5
Alex Barlow wrote: It is appalling that a modern era climber would find his opinion more important than a Royal Robbins.

A certain zealot vandalized an historic route and should be charged with a crime or at least called to the carpet and shunned by the community.

Hats off to the crew that restored W.E.M L.

Thank you.

Are you referring to Jim Beyer chopping the bolts over a decade ago?

Hamish Malin · · Fredericksburg, VA · Joined May 2017 · Points: 15

Dammit man tell me who I’m supposed to be mad at!!!

Mark Hudon · · Lives on the road · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 415

What are you talking about?

jg fox wrote:

Are you referring to Jim Beyer chopping the bolts over a decade ago?

Yes.

I guess I am worried he will ruin it again.
Tom Stryker wrote: I'm confused. Didn't Robbins think his opinion was more important than the F.A. party? Or to put it another way..." a certain zealot vandalized an historic route " and uh...then sold a really lot of outdoor clothing !

He stopped being a debag on the way.

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 612
Alex Barlow wrote:

He stopped being a debag on the way.

I have also seen Valley Uprising.

He didn’t specifically go up there to ruin the WOTEML, like Robbins actually did, btw. He chopped the bolts on it to “even things out” in regards to the bolts he drilled on an FA he was doing at the time. 

Goran Lynch · · Oakland, CA · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 6

I'd swear this looks like mountainproject, but this discussion is obviously from supertopo. Confusing.

Mark Hudon wrote: He didn’t specifically go up there to ruin the WOTEML, like Robbins actually did, btw. He chopped the bolts on it to “even things out” in regards to the bolts he drilled on an FA he was doing at the time. 

Wasn’t there a restoration project of the route done trying to fix it?  Could you tell us what happened? I don’t trust Supertopo to tell it.

Over the years various parties went up there to restablish the route. I think Pete finished it last year. 

Mark Hudon wrote: Over the years various parties went up there to restablish the route. I think Pete finished it last year. 

What about Beyer chopping? Supertopo made it out to be some crazy ego trip.

Ryan Swanson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 30
Goran Lynch wrote: I'd swear this looks like mountainproject, but this discussion is obviously from supertopo. Confusing.

I think this is r/climbingcirclejerk material

ton · · Salt Lake City · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 0
Goran Lynch wrote: I'd swear this looks like mountainproject, but this discussion is obviously from supertopo. Confusing.

shitshow vs. clusterfuck.  simple distinction.

Mark Hudon wrote: Over the years various parties went up there to restablish the route. I think Pete finished it last year. 

That, sire, is the point.

A tip of the hat to the anti-vandals.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Sacrilege ( bolt chopper )"
in the Big Wall and Aid Climbing