Mountain Project Logo

Climbing in SE China?

Original Post
JenW · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 31

A shot in the dark: I will be moving to SE China in a few months and would appreciate any tips, links, reads, or connections about partners, areas, etc. thanks!

Matt B · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 76

May not qualify as SE, but here’s a link to some great climbing info in Yunnan.  http://climbshigu.com/

I also think that Rakkup has a guidebook for somewhere in China. You could download a sample for free. 

Cynthia Gannon · · Atlanta, GA · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

JenW will you possibly be near the Hangzhou area in May?  I will be there for fourteen days in May for study abroad and am looking to sport climb maybe for a day trip...I didn't bring any camping gear so IDK if I could do a weekend thing... D:  but I am down for all sorts of shenanigans.  : D

BTW  I am from the southeastern US and can set and clean routes anywhere from 5.10 to 5.11.  Am willing to climb easier stuff or belay you on more difficult projects if you have any.  I'm really just looking for opportunities to see the country other than the main cities...  

Anyway, just let me know if you are available or if you have any connections to anyone that might be!

All the best,
Cynthia

Jonathan Lagoe · · Boulder · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 5

Where exactly in SE China will you be based? Much of the information out there is in Chinese and new areas are being developed all the time. I have good contacts in China thoough - and can maybe help if you can be more specific.

Scott Odell · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 45

quite succinctly: http://www.climbchina.net/a/guide
sport destinations: Yangshuo, Getu, and Qingyuan
trad destinations: Liming. I spent 2 weeks here last November after climbing trad around the U.S. for a couple years. Liming rocks, and they are developing some gnarly sport routes right now. Check out the facebook group for Liming rock climbing. 

Rob Price · · Seattle, WA · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 0

The rakkup guide for Yangshuo is here. Look for more rakkup projects in China in the near future!
-Rob

sketchydrew · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 20

Those guys at Rakkup sure make a good product! Hope you are enjoying the southern china climbing experience!

There are many ways to get linked up with people in the China climbing community. First stop would be the facebook group: Rock Climbing China
Second would be to get WeChat, the social networking APP for China.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Climbing in SE China?"
in the International