Mountain Project Logo

He's a big guy...

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 873
bruno-cx wrote:  What Would Hank Do  (WWHD)?

Hank has ways of avoiding the lower/rap/walkoff debacle entirely. 

;-)
Tradgic Yogurt · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 55
Kireina CO wrote: I'm sure this question has been asked before but I'm going to risk redundancy...a co-worker wants me to take him out climbing.  He weighs about 250lbs...a lot of it muscle.  I weigh 125lbs.  I've never belayed anyone that size before and I'm a little concerned.  I will anchor myself to something so that if he falls I won't get launched into outer space.  But here's the question for you girls...if you have belayed (successfully) someone who was twice your size, how difficult was it to lower him or catch a fall? I use a Sum or a Gri-Gri.  On the other side of things, could the big guy give you a soft catch?  And how did he do that?  One guy that I've climbed with (who was heavier than me by about 75 lbs) would stand back from the wall and when I'd fall, he would take a few steps in.  Not as effective as jumping but at least I didn't end up with jellied kidneys. So please, what does your heavier partner do to give you a soft catch?  I want to climb with this guy, he's blast and he'll buy the beer, just don't want to kill anyone.

As a 250lb guy, I mainly want to see what other women say vs what various partners I've had said.

I do have some observations having climbed both lead and TR with people as light a you and even lighter, but I won't spray beta unless you ask.

Hank Caylor · · Glenwood Springs, CO · Joined Dec 2003 · Points: 615
Greg D wrote: Some really bizarre deleting of posts here by the admins.  You guys are so lame.  Not the "this post violated guideline 1".  Just wiped away.  Not even offensive stuff either. 

Hey man, just to be clear, most of us "Admins" are just specifically for a State. Like I'm just Texas. I'm not a Forum Mod and have ZERO abilities to nuke, flag or otherwise anything here. Just making sure users know very few people have the ability to moderate the forum at all.

Hank Caylor · · Glenwood Springs, CO · Joined Dec 2003 · Points: 615
Mark E Dixon wrote:

Now Hank is going to feel attacked and delete his post :-(

No way man. I've never flagged anyone for anything and I don't have the ability to moderate the forums at all. As well, I almost always post, forget about it and never check back..

Mark E Dixon · · Sprezzatura, Someday · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 579

Yeah, that was an obscure joke meant for Burchey.

Greg D · · Here · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 877
Hank Caylor wrote:

Hey man, just to be clear, most of us "Admins" are just specifically for a State. Like I'm just Texas. I'm not a Forum Mod and have ZERO abilities to nuke, flag or otherwise anything here. Just making sure users know very few people have the ability to moderate the forum at all.

Definitely not pointing the finger at you. But thanks for the explanation. 

JonasMR · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 6

As a big guy, if there are ledges, please anchor in.  Soft catches are great, except when they are not.  For my wife and me (195# vs 105#), without an anchor she can give a nice soft catch, but cannot guarantee I won't hit a ledge.  Even one I wouldn't hit with a heavier belayer.

For sport climbing, have folks found the Ohm reliable enough to keep a fat feller off a ledge?  Thanks.

Bill Kirby · · San Francisco CA · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480
JonasMR wrote:
For sport climbing, have folks found the Ohm reliable enough to keep a fat feller off a ledge?  Thanks.

Yes but it takes some getting used to. Definitely can create friction when you don’t want it. 

Lena chita · · OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 1,030
JonasMR wrote: 

Yes.

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,476
JonasMR wrote: 

Yeah, and fatty might stay off that ledge if he climbed a little harder, too. And healed up his shoulder! And...

Wait, where am I?

Jessica Hysert · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

I climb with someone near twice my size regularly. I rarely anchor myself. It's not a big deal. I'm about 115, he's about 220. I use and ACT, sometimes a grigri. The trick is to do a smooth lower. If you go fast and suddenly stop, you'll go up a bit. Worst case scenario, you go up and just lower yourself back down. Totally safe.

Sara Kenney · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

I use the Ohm with my boyfriend and t makes a big difference but we only have a 60 lbs difference. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Women's Forum
Post a Reply to "He's a big guy..."

There is ZERO tolerance for being a jerk in the Women's Forum.