Mountain Project Logo

Arc'teryx Climbing Academy - 2018

Original Post
Nate Doyle · · Sierra Foothills · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 39

I'm sure everyone is already going but, for those of you who aren't, stay jealous my friends:

http://squamish.arcteryxacademy.com

Or is it envious? Whatever...looks like a great time. Post up some pics/vids for the rest of us.

don'tchuffonme · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 25

Huh?  I stay as far away from those things and other festivals as possible.  The elite sucking the permagumby masses dry.  With a few average climbers mixed in for visual effect.  Why anyone would be envious of that, idk.  Unless it's that Arcteryx gear is so expensive, the swag could probably pay for your plane ticket back.

Maureen Maguire · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 0
permagumby masses
....end of troll
don'tchuffonme wrote: Huh?  I stay as far away from those things and other festivals as possible.  The elite sucking the permagumby masses dry.  With a few average climbers mixed in for visual effect.  Why anyone would be envious of that, idk.  Unless it's that Arcteryx gear is so expensive, the swag could probably pay for your plane ticket back.
Are you upset 'cause you can't afford to go or are you really taking a stand?
Nate Tastic wrote: Are you upset 'cause you can't afford to go or are you really taking a stand?

No, haha.  I know my post came off shitty.  Seriously though, have you been to one of these things, or a Red Rock Rendezvous or a Craggin' Classic or any of those types of things?  If you're not a guide with some clinic to teach, don't have gear to sell, and aren't a gumby, then you'll be pretty miserable.  I've been to a couple of them, and they just suck.  I've never seen so much litter and trash from a crowd that's supposed to adopt LNT.  And for the people that are self sufficient, plan on having the hordes of experts and neophytes descend upon your routes and hog them with impunity for that weekend.  

What do you see as the benefit of these?  Are you taking classes to learn things?  Are you going to get that awesome sense of "community"?  Do you like really nice gear that only the upper class can afford without a pro deal?  What is the draw for you?
Buck Rio · · MN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

I'll second some of DCOM's comments about a lot of folks that go to these things are there for the "EVENT" not the climbing.  Which is fine, but I would rather be alone with my chosen brothers/sisters of the rope than a bunch of strangers, many who are giant a-holes. 

The only climbing related events I go to are crag clean up day.

Ray Pinpillage · · West Egg · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 180

Climbing festival are painfully lame. I could get get the same crowded expensive blowhard selfimportance surfing Steve House's Instagram in the Arcteryx section of an REI.

Andy Novak · · Golden, Co · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 370

Or is it envious? Whatever...looks like a great time. 

How long have you been climbing? 

Maureen Maguire · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 0

Now that climbing as become a huge marketing target the corporations are all about providing you with an experience and an identity. Now you see your changing color schemes, your"new" cam designs every two years, your events to describe your "tribe".. it's sickening, it's consumerism,...it's just plain hawking.Its so canned you can just look around and see their marketing plan successfully reaching their demographic.. the clothing style specific to gender, the trucker hat...the vehicle..the beard conditioner..the eye glasses...it's all set up for you to step right in. And the event to show yourself and compare yourself to other consumers in the same market is also provided...but of course you pay for that too.  The industry wants to create an ever expanding profit margin out of your wallet and it is doing just that. Now there's even a politician using photos of herself climbing as a basis of her election campaign.  Zzzzzzzzz don't be their sucker.

Maureen Maguire wrote: Now that climbing as become a huge marketing target the corporations are all about providing you with an experience and an identity. Now you see your changing color schemes, your"new" cam designs every two years, your events to describe your "tribe".. it's sickening, it's consumerism,...it's just plain hawking.Its so canned you can just look around and see their marketing plan successfully reaching their demographic.. the clothing style specific to gender, the trucker hat...the vehicle..the beard conditioner..the eye glasses...it's all set up for you to step right in. And the event to show yourself and compare yourself to other consumers in the same market is also provided...but of course you pay for that too.  The industry wants to create an ever expanding profit margin out of your wallet and it is doing just that. Now there's even a politician using photos of herself climbing as a basis of her election campaign.  Zzzzzzzzz don't be their sucker.

um... end of... troll?

Beean · · Canmore, AB · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 0
Maureen Maguire wrote: Now that climbing as become a huge marketing target the corporations are all about providing you with an experience and an identity. Now you see your changing color schemes, your"new" cam designs every two years, your events to describe your "tribe".. it's sickening, it's consumerism,...it's just plain hawking.Its so canned you can just look around and see their marketing plan successfully reaching their demographic.. the clothing style specific to gender, the trucker hat...the vehicle..the beard conditioner..the eye glasses...it's all set up for you to step right in. And the event to show yourself and compare yourself to other consumers in the same market is also provided...but of course you pay for that too.  The industry wants to create an ever expanding profit margin out of your wallet and it is doing just that. Now there's even a politician using photos of herself climbing as a basis of her election campaign.  Zzzzzzzzz don't be their sucker.

I had no idea companies want to make money by selling stuff. Thanks for the heads up.

Bill Kirby · · Baltimore Maryland · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

I go to the Mount Washington Valley Ice Fest every year. While I don’t do the clinics any longer. The people I met for a day for mass top roping and technique critique were super cool and friendly. They are mostly beginners but they haven’t gotten that I’ve been climbing for 2-8 year dickhead attitude. I run into friends at the presentations, get some free beer glasses and check out the new gear. I’ve climbed on the weekend of the festival. With a little planning and an early bedtime you can get on enough to make a day of climbing.

I feel like the climbing festival hate is like too cool for school. I’ll be sure to remember that if I ever take climbing for more than a hobby. I suck so it’s doubtful.

Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 65

I will be giving a clinic at booth #126 on the eviles of Dynema, Wank0lettes, Canned Beer and the Emancipation of Wimin at 7:30 on day 6.

Get ur tickets now. Space is limited (by Gravity).

Harumpfster Boondoggle wrote: I will be giving a clinic at booth #126 on the eviles of Dynema, Wank0lettes, Canned Beer and the Emancipation of Wimin at 7:30 on day 6.

Get ur tickets now. Space is limited (by Gravity).
Cool. Will you have stickers?

Also, do you know if there will be any Trad clinics for beginners? I'm hoping there is. I'd like to get my current partner up to speed.
Bill Kirby wrote:

I feel like the climbing festival hate is like too cool for school.

That's fair I guess.  Maybe the ice climbing ones are better.  I feel like the neon-clad, puffy-wearing, name-dropping crowd of "fer suuuure" people are too cool for school.

Russ Keane · · Asheville, NC · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 150

These events are product-driven, but they are a good chance to meet people who climb, and to learn some things from some experts. 

Hobo Greg · · My Van · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 175

The only thing lamer than a climbing festival is a climbing award show. Which I hope doesn't exist?

FosterK · · Edmonton, AB · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 43
Hobo Greg wrote: The only thing lamer than a climbing festival is a climbing award show. Which I hope doesn't exist?

https://www.pioletsdor.net/index.php/en/

Russ Keane wrote: These events are product-driven, but they are a good chance to meet people who climb, and to learn some things from some experts. 

I have learned some things from experts, and I have a time-tested, trustworthy pool of partners.  Never needed a "festival" for either.  It's hard for gear companies and gyms to "grow the sport" without them though.

Rob Owens · · Longmont, CO · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 95
Ray Pinpillage wrote: I could get get the same crowded expensive blowhard selfimportance surfing Steve House's Instagram in the Arcteryx section of an REI.

sweet

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

Literally the only reason climbing festivels exist is to generate income for the host guide company. all the other venders are also trying to make a buck. its a big commercial venture in our playground.. I do love my guide friends but pretty luke warm on how their jobs impact our outdoors. Of course I am the pot calling the kettle black. I build 2nd and 3rd homes for people who don't need them....

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Arc'teryx Climbing Academy - 2018"