Mountain Project Logo

Tieton River Canyon: Dream Wall at Lava Point, what's the current tick situation?

Original Post
Khoi · · Vancouver, BC · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 45

My first time at Lava Point and Dream Wall was July 1, 2010:
- temps were kinda hot at the Royal Columns and The Bend, so Lava Point was a nice respite from the heat.  
- it was obvious that the forest in front of the crags at Lava Point had recently had some fire activity run through - I was told it was a controlled burn
- no signs of ticks whatsoever

2nd time at Lava Point and Dream Wall was July 22, 2011:
- temps were kinda hot the Royal Columns and OK at South Fork, so Lava Point was again a nice respite from the heat

3rd time at Lava Point and Dream Wall was April 27, 2014:
- temps were mild at the Royal Columns, and temps were cold at Lava Point - snow flurries actually started coming down at Dream Wall later in the day!

4th and most recent time at Lava Point and Dream Wall was May 3, 2017:
- temps were cool at the Bend (Royal Columns was recently closed due to the collapse of a column!), and temps were warm at Lava Point
- TICKS!!!

That last time at Dream Wall we encountered ticks on the approach.  We were so freaked out about getting a tick biting into us that we actually stripped down and climbed in our boxers - LOL!  Even then I managed to find a tick on me mid climb!  When we got back to the car we spent a solid hour examining every nook and cranny of all of our gear to make sure we were free of ticks.

I have noticed each successive time going to Dream Wall that the vegetation along the trail is getting more overgrown.  If I lived several hours closer I would take the necessary tools to do some major pruning.

I'm hoping to go back to Dream Wall on Saturday, May 5.  

Does anyone know what the currrent tick situation there is like?  If it'll be like last time then I'll stay in Vantage that day.

Chipper Maney · · Seattle · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 30

Ticks are only a problem in the spring.  Let's see, we were there for 2 days this past weekend. I pulled 8 ticks off my dog, 5 off my kid, and 1 off me.  None on my wife.  My wife and I kept our pants tucked in our sock during the approach and tried to avoid touching vegetation and fared much better than the dog and child. Prevention goes a long way. But yeah, they are bad right now.

Khoi · · Vancouver, BC · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 45

Argh.

Thanks for the info!

I guess they'll still be an issue in 2 weeks, eh?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Tieton River Canyon: Dream Wall at Lava Point,…"
in the Pacific Northwest