Mountain Project Logo

Smith Rock July or August?

Original Post
Jeffrey Woodcock · · Newton, MA · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

I’m thinking of visiting Smith this Summer. What are the conditions like in July and August? Too hot?

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,535
Jeffrey Woodcock wrote: I’m thinking of visiting Smith this Summer. What are the conditions like in July and August? Too hot?

Yes. Head north to Squamish or the Cascades instead.

Max Tepfer · · Bend, OR · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 1,655

It can get pretty warm. And smoky with forest fires.  That being said, if it's not too hot, (80s as opposed to 90s+) the shade can still be enjoyable and is very easy to chase.  Having spent a number of summers at Smith as well as Index, Squamish, and others, they don't feel that different.  It's usually hotter at Smith, but a lot more humid on the West slope crags, so it kind of feels the same.  I'd say the best climbing in the PNW that time of year is Washington Pass. (don't go too early due to bugs)

Jeffrey Woodcock · · Newton, MA · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

I’m interested in the sport climbing at Smith. Is there enough sport climbing in Squamish or the Cascades?

Ryan Swanson · · Pepedidnothingwrong, freejg · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 50

It's doable by all means, but is it the best use of time?  Do you want to send hard? Might have to be there at daylight.  You can always find shade if you look for it.  Friction might be harder to find.

coldatom · · Cambridge, MA · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 70

It was scary dangerous hot when I was there in August 2013.  
But even if it is really bad, if you go hide from 10 am to 4 pm, you'll be fine.  
Climb super early.  Go nap in the shade.  Read a book.  Find some AC in Bend.  Climb until dark, or later with a headlamp.

Healyje · · PDX · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 456

BoCan

Gunnar Johnson · · Hanover, NH · Joined May 2017 · Points: 41

I climbed there a bunch last summer around that time. Expect 90s or even into the 100s but there is shade if you look for it; Lower Gorge is a good spot.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Pacific Northwest
Post a Reply to "Smith Rock July or August?"