Mountain Project Logo

Sport climbing at old rag help

Original Post
Nick Haha · · Choosing the path less trav… · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 365

Has anyone sport climbed at old rag and can tell me if it’s worth the 3 hr drive?  I hiked the area a bunch of times, but haven’t seen the climbing area. I have the Virginia, West Virginia and Maryland falcon guide, but I would prefer someone to help me find the area.  Can anyone help?

D.Sweet · · Damascus, MD · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 20

Old Rag is primarily a trad crag and while there are some bolted routes I am unsure how many are pure sport climbs.  It is a great area and while the Eric Horst guide does have some decent descriptions on how to find the different areas, locating crags can be a bit of a chore for the first time out.  

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480
Nick Haha wrote: Has anyone sport climbed at old rag and can tell me if it’s worth the 3 hr drive?  I hiked the area a bunch of times, but haven’t seen the climbing area. I have the Virginia, West Virginia and Maryland falcon guide, but I would prefer someone to help me find the area.  Can anyone help?

Have you been to Safe Harbor? That’s a kinda close sport crag from Baltimore. Old Rag is mostly trad.

Elizabeth Furnace is worth a day to check out lots of mixed slab routes.

I’ve been to Safeharbor and Birdsboro many times. I was even at Birdsboro last week and Safeharbor the week before. Looking into other close sport climbing areas.  I haven’t been to EF yet though, I did recently download the rakkup beta for the area.  I seen on MP old rag had 20 sport routes, so I was curious in other people’s thoughts.

Nick Haha wrote: I’ve been to Safeharbor and Birdsboro many times. I was even at Birdsboro last week and Safeharbor the week before. Looking into other close sport climbing areas.  I haven’t been to EF yet though, I did recently download the rakkup beta for the area.  I seen on MP old rag had 20 sport routes, so I was curious in other people’s thoughts.

Oh wow, I didn’t know Old Rag had that many sport routes. Sorry.

I think you’ll like Elizabeth furnace. Gabe C. took me there.
TaylorP · · Pump Haus, Sonora · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0
Bill Kirby wrote:

Have you been to Safe Harbor? That’s a kinda close sport crag from Baltimore. Old Rag is mostly trad.

Elizabeth Furnace is worth a day to check out lots of mixed slab routes.

Elizabeth Furnace has 2 different crags. The Roadside crag has a super easy approach and some fun sport climbs (and a couple trad routes thrown in). The other crag requires a hike in and is the mixed slab routes that Bill is referring to.

Is anyone up for showing me how to find the climbing area?

Nick Haha wrote: Is anyone up for showing me how to find the climbing area?

I’m moving to San Francisco May 1st so I doubt I’ll get outside before I leave. I might go to Rocks to teach a friend how to use his shiny new gear. I’ll let you know if you’re interested 

Are you teaching him to trad?  If so, I’d love to watch and learn. 

Nick Haha wrote: Are you teaching him to trad?  If so, I’d love to watch and learn. 

Again there’s only two weekends before I move but you’re welcome to come along. Ok I’ll let you know. PM me your number.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "Sport climbing at old rag help"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started