Mountain Project Logo

New 70m Rope

Original Post
Sean Onasch · · fort collins · Joined May 2016 · Points: 115

I'm looking for a rope in the 9-9.4 diameter category and could use some help. The rope will be primarily be used for multi-pitch trad and some alpine climbing around Colorado. Whats the thinnest, most durable rope that you've had that still inspires confidence?

Kyle Elliott · · Everett, WA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 775

Sterling Aero 9.2 is my go-to rope for alpine/trad. Super burly for the diameter. A bit pricier, however. 

M Alexander · · SLO, CA · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 21

While I personally haven't used this rope, for $110 it seems hard to beat. I've had no problem in my experience with BD ropes, although they may not be the top of the line.

https://www.steepandcheap.com/black-diamond-9.2-rope?skid=BLD00N9-DUAGD-S70M&ti=U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM6YmxhY2sgZGlhbW9uZCByb3BlOjE6MTpibGFjayBkaWFtb25kIHJvcGU=​​​

PatMas · · Tulsa, OK · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

A lot of people seem to like the Beal joker 9.1 I have only a few pitches on mine, but it seems like it will be a solid rope.

Unicore standard. And dry options available. 

Kyle Elliott wrote: Sterling Aero 9.2 is my go-to rope for alpine/trad. Super burly for the diameter. A bit pricier, however. 

Sweet, Just bought this rope from Alpenglow for $110, 70m Dry (2016). Thanks 

Jan Tarculas · · Riverside, Ca · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 826

I  have the Sterling Nano 9.0 in 70M and sterling ion 9.4 in 60M. I primarily use the Nano for almost everything now. I bring the 9.4 to TR or routes in Jtree

Getoutside · · Golden, CO · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 0

Not sure about that Alpenglow site. Your price seemed amazing, so I went ready to pull the trigger. I loaded up a Sterling Nano 80m Bi-pattern for $75... That is a $350 rope easy. When I checked the cart though it listed it as 40m standard purple. I think that site could be experiencing some issues. 

Jim Urbec · · sevierville, TN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 46
PatMas wrote: A lot of people seem to like the Beal joker 9.1 I have only a few pitches on mine, but it seems like it will be a solid rope.

Unicore standard. And dry options available. 

2nd vote for Beal Joker 9.1.  I've got two.  bunch of single pitch sport climbs last season and a couple multi-pitch trad climbs this year.  they are my go to ropes now.

Getoutside wrote: Not sure about that Alpenglow site. Your price seemed amazing, so I went ready to pull the trigger. I loaded up a Sterling Nano 80m Bi-pattern for $75... That is a $350 rope easy. When I checked the cart though it listed it as 40m standard purple. I think that site could be experiencing some issues. 

Yeah probably, I called to check to see if it had a middle marker (it does) and the guy asked how much I paid. I told him $110 and he said that must be a mistake and that they will lose money, and for me to order while I can! 

https://www.alpenglowgear.com/sterling-evolution-aero-92mm-climbing-rope.html?id=14274520&quantity=1
Branty · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 275
AL . · · UT · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 145

Sterling Nano 9.0mm is solid if you're not whipping on those multipitches all the time, otherwise the lifespan will be shortened. I've used one on everything from The NIAD to sport climbing. However if you want something a little more sturdy then the aero 9.2, or ion 9.4 from sterling are also very light and will last a good long time. Bought a BD rope last year and won't be doing it again. Petzl and Mammut ropes didn't last too long for me either.

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,535
Sean Onasch wrote:

Yeah probably, I called to check to see if it had a middle marker (it does) and the guy asked how much I paid. I told him $110 and he said that must be a mistake and that they will lose money, and for me to order while I can! 

https://www.alpenglowgear.com/sterling-evolution-aero-92mm-climbing-rope.html?id=14274520&quantity=1

Lol, that's way below wholesale. They're definitely losing money.

Z Winters · · Mazama, WA · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 220
Sean Onasch wrote:

I followed that advice, and just ordered one too! Thanks for the tip! Have been wanting this rope for a long time - glad I waited to pull the trigger.

JD · · Vanlifer · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 95

I have the Mammut 9.5mm Infinity Dry in a 70 and 80 (linking pitches) and carry the 80 for multi around AZ. Also, I rarely have to worry about sport crag lengths with an 80 and use both for group outtings.
Highly recommend this rope, just don't buy the classic as the dry version has a much better sheath.

And... Just pulled the trigger too and purchased the Sterling. Can't beat that price. 

AlpineIce · · Upstate, NY · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 255

+1 Beal Joker UniCore GoldenDry.  Doesn't get much better than that.

Bill B · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

Any beal under 10mm should be fine for you, they're great ropes and run smaller than other brands with the same listed diameter.

Also I will 2nd/3rd Alpenglow for having unreal rope deals. I got my dry treated 70m beal there for $140.

Benjamin A · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 0

I’ve got 2 new Sterling Helixes 9.5 (both 60m, one dry one not dry) I’d be willing to let go for good prices 

Ted   · · Flat Florida · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 0
Sean Onasch wrote:

Did they ship the rope, or cancel the order?

Chalk in the Wind · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 3
Sean Onasch wrote:

Shit, I don't need another 70 right now, but that price is so damn tempting!

ETA: It's now out of stock. Thanks, MP!
Chalk in the Wind · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 3

This is just slightly out of your size range, but I blew my REI dividend on this: https://www.rei.com/product/897868/mammut-infinity-duodess-95mm-x-70m-dry-rope

It's so beautiful that I almost hate using it.

Robert Michael wrote:

Shit, I don't need another 70 right now, but that price is so damn tempting!

ETA: It's now out of stock. Thanks, MP!

Sorry you weren't able to order it. It came in the mail today, it's a nice looking rope and very soft. We will see how long it last. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "New 70m Rope "