Mountain Project Logo

Edelrid Belay Station Sling Deluxe

Original Post
Nate Doyle · · Sierra Foothills · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 39

Similar to the GiGi, Ovo, and the CT Crocodile but, with the added sling on one end.

Is Edelrid taking the concept to another level or are they complicating something that was very simple and should stay that way?

Edelrid Belay Station Sling Deluxe

The Beaver · · Rumney, NH · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 0

All for... what? Saving a carabiner?

Beean · · Canmore, AB · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 0

Do the cloves come pre tied too? 

Nate Doyle · · Sierra Foothills · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 39
The Beaver wrote: All for... what? Saving a carabiner?

That's what I was thinking. Saving a biner and "convenience."

Plus, you most likely have a Sling or a Rope that can be used to secure to the anchor and a carabiner anyway.

Can that sling be used alone? I suppose in an emergency situation you could use it but, now you just left a $35+ sling AND a GiGi.
ClimbingOn · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 405

Completely useless. Why bother carrying a single-use large sling? If I'm going to carry large slings, I want to be able to use them for whatever, not just anchors. If they somehow all get used on the route then a: I planned poorly and b: I'll use the rope for my anchor.

Racechinees . · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

I do not have that one, but I do have there adjustable slings (this thingy https://www.edelrid.de/en/sports//adjustable-belay-station-sling.html). If you are using euro style anchors, this really makes things fast and easy.  I bought it for ice climbing as making clove hitches with gloves on are a pain in the backside and this thing just requires a pull to adjust the buckle. 

David Coley · · UK · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 70

Things like these can be very useful for those guiding inexperienced clients and kids. In part because they can't drop the guide plate - which happens more than you might think.
The slings also tend to be tougher than modern personal kit.

Scott360 · · Las Vegas · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 510
Beean wrote: Do the cloves come pre tied too? 

TOTALLY worth it if it comes with pre-tied cloves! Game-changer!

Scott Kilts · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 5

Seems like I could girth hitch a sling to my gigi and make this in 30s. Or a loop of cord if you were worried about strength reduction of the knot. Not as elegant as the bar tack but...

Anyone have a reason not to do this?

· · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0
Scott Kilts wrote: Seems like I could girth hitch a sling to my gigi and make this in 30s. Or a loop of cord if you were worried about strength reduction of the knot. Not as elegant as the bar tack but...

Anyone have a reason not to do this?

I see where you are going with this, but if one leg fails the girth hitch at the Gigi won't prevent extension. That is why the belay device is sewn into the sling. Also a loop of cord will have strength reduction in the knot holding it together a loop on top of whatever else knots you use in it. If that's a concern for you, use a sling instead and make sure the master point is knotted. 

If this product is about convenience for guiding inexperienced climbers and kids as David Coley suggests, then I'd suggest an alternative to this of keeping a pre-tied quad on a sling or cordelette, or two leg figure 8 knotted sling with the Gigi already carabiner locked to it. This creates the same solution.

Scott Kilts · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 5
anotherclimber wrote:

I see where you are going with this, but if one leg fails the girth hitch at the Gigi won't prevent extension. That is why the belay device is sewn into the sling. Also a loop of cord will have strength reduction in the knot holding it together a loop on top of whatever else knots you use in it. If that's a concern for you, use a sling instead and make sure the master point is knotted. 

If this product is about convenience for guiding inexperienced climbers and kids as David Coley suggests, then I'd suggest an alternative to this of keeping a pre-tied quad on a sling or cordelette, or two leg figure 8 knotted sling with the Gigi already carabiner locked to it. This creates the same solution.

An overhand knot above the girth hitch would resolve the extension issue. Personally, I'm more interested in the idea of removing a biner from the system than convenience. As you said, a quad or cordalette does the job fine.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Edelrid Belay Station Sling Deluxe"