Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

Has anyone tried the new Seneca guidebook?

Original Post
Slartibartfast · · Magrathea · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 0

So the new edition of the Tony Barnes guidebook is out. Has anyone seen it? Is it worth the upgrade from the 2nd edition?

Eli . · · GMC3500 · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 3,064

The 3rd edition looks like a real guidebook, where as the 2nd barely has any topos and offers minimal description.
#3 has color photos as well.

· · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

Great color pictures but the route numbers on a few pages are wrong. It comes with a few loose pages to correct things but found it difficult to use as someone new to climbing there. 

Peter Brown-Whale · · Randallstown, MD · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 20

It can't be any worse than the 2nd edition, easily the worst guidebook I have ever seen

Mark Thesing · · Central Indiana · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 60

It's a pretty guidebook but I find it isn't very good functionally for Seneca. I much prefer the old red and yellow Seneca guidebooks that you could put in your back pocket while you climb. The new one, unless you're climbing with a pack, will be sitting at the base of a climb while you're possibly on the other side of the rocks trying to decide what to get on.

Joe Ray · · Harmony · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

The newest version is much better.  A bit pricey but the information and photos are as detailed as I’ve ever seen.  It has a lot of information in it on how to get down from all sides with detailed pictures including the rope length and how many taps you’ll need.  If you frequent Seneca it’s worth it.  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Has anyone tried the new Seneca guidebook?"
in the Southern States