Mountain Project Logo

Sourcing climbing shoes for different sized feet without buying 2 pairs?

Original Post
mountainhick · · Black Hawk, CO · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 120

After 39 years of climbing, due to tighter fit of my left shoe I have developed a wham bang bone spur and arthritis in my left big toe:  https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/114253168/how-to-manage-bone-spursarthritis-in-feet

Seems I really have to get larger Left shoes. I got one tip I haven't yet confirmed that Butora offers the opportunity to buy mismatched sizes as a pair. Any other strategies short of buying two pairs and trying to sell off the leftover singles?

Like if the left is larger, size a pair to the left and in some way add stuff in the right shoe along with your foot to take up space? Wearing a thick sock comes to mind, but that would suck in terms of how the shoe performs on that foot.

Ideas?

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,800

Info here:
https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/114253762/looking-for-my-cinderella

Tapawingo Markey · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 75

Evolve let’s you order split sizes.

Tyler McPherson · · Salem, OR · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 0

Butora does in fact sell split sizing for $25. We will also soon be offering single shoe purchases as well and making that info available in the near future

mountainhick · · Black Hawk, CO · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 120

Thanks all,

I think I am going to try to buy 1/2 size larger used pairs in similar condition of models I already have and sell off the resulting orphans. Paying extra over retail price for new shoes/split sizing when I can mix and match with shoes I already have doesn't match my value system.

Carter Smith · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 10

You can order split sizes on Evolv's website for a little bit of an up-charge

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,800
mountainhick wrote: Thanks all,

I think I am going to try to buy 1/2 size larger used pairs in similar condition of models I already have and sell off the resulting orphans. Paying extra over retail price for new shoes/split sizing when I can mix and match with shoes I already have doesn't match my value system.

Good luck selling the single shoes or unmatched pairs.

As for getting the right foot shoe fitting, I've had really good expereince putting a soft-but-not-too-compressible pad in the heel pocket of shoes that are a full size too big for me.  As long as I don't have to heel hook, the performance is eveything I can ask for, and it's way ahead of climbing in something like ragg socks.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Sourcing climbing shoes for different sized fee…"