Mountain Project Logo

Climbing Progression

Original Post
James Julien · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0

Hey All!

I've been climbing for a month now indoors completing up to a 5.10d on ropes and lots of V3's Bouldering. Will continued climbing new routes and challenging myself be the best way to keep advancing or focus on core grip strength separately? The level of people climbing at my gym is pretty high and its intimidating!

Sam Deshler · · Southern California · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 11

Keep climbing!  Time and energy spent on directly moving your body up a wall will make you improve faster than anything else.

J Squared · · santa barbara, CA · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

a month is hardly any time at all...don't push too hard.
tendons grow and strengthen very slowly.

keep steady, technique is more important than strength this early.  
work on climbing everything v0-v3 with as little energy used as possible.

warm up and cooldown with gentle hangboarding..  don't go crazy and try to do 2-3 finger pullups just because you can yank your way through it..

Cole Morgan · · Portland,Oregon · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 5

To add to Sam's comment, spend time climbing every style of climb possible. Overhung, slab, dynamic, static, compression, small crimps, mini jugs, slopers, etc. The grip strength will come naturally but you have to focus on becoming a technical well rounded climber. Nice progress so far!

AL . · · UT · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 120

One more thing to add: don't use that hangboard for a couple years and definitely don't use it as a warm up tool at this point in your career. You'll benefit more from good technique than you will from having strong fingers on real rock for a good while. 

James Julien · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0
Cole Morgan wrote: To add to Sam's comment, spend time climbing every style of climb possible. Overhung, slab, dynamic, static, compression, small crimps, mini jugs, slopers, etc. The grip strength will come naturally but you have to focus on becoming a technical well rounded climber. Nice progress so far!

Thanks! I tried every type of climb I could get my hands on tonight and it felt good. I’m lucky to have such great facilities and rocks here in Boulder/Denver!

Cole Morgan · · Portland,Oregon · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 5
James Julien wrote:

Thanks! I tried every type of climb I could get my hands on tonight and it felt good. I’m lucky to have such great facilities and rocks here in Boulder/Denver!

Definitely jealous of the amount of climbing in Boulder! Soak it it up haha

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Beginning Climbers
Post a Reply to "Climbing Progression"