Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

Hard shell pants for alpine climbing

Original Post
Jose Ortegano · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0

Hi, I'm looking for a new hard shell pant for alpine climbing. I normally use soft shells pants for alpine climbing, but currently I'm living in Ecuador and down here the weather is kind of unpredictable and is usually wet. I would like a pair of pants with trim/athletic fit, great mobility and low weight(less than 500gr).

I really like these pants:

http://www.patagonia.com/es/product/mens-galvanized-pants-for-alpine-climbing/83155.html

What do you think about them? What do you use for alpine climbing in bad weather?

I would like to have more options because is quite difficult to get Patagonia products down here.

Thanks and I'd really appreciate your help. Jose.

Andy H · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 15

Arcteryx Beta AR.  Also, Eddie Bauer is running a sale right now on the Men's BC Duraweave Alpine Pant.  

James Douglas · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0

If you can justify it, have a look at Jottnar Vanir pants. They're a work of art

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 661

I recently picked up the Mountain Hardwear Quasar Lite pants and have been impressed, especially considering how cheap and light they are.  The Patagonia Galvanized pants look really good too.

Greg Shea · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 10

Brooks range armor pants, they just discontinued them they're still easy to find online

Doug Hutchinson · · Seattle, WA · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 95

I have the Galvanized but have only used two days now and have mixed feelings about them. They are light and trim, breath well, and have a nice stretchy feel. But, they are very thin/delicate. They have no scuff guard or reinforcement on the bottom for crampon nicks and I have several small cuts already. I like them but assume they will live a very short life. I don't know how they will do in full on conditions but they feel closer to a soft shell than a hard shell in terms of weather resistance.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Hard shell pants for alpine climbing"
in the Climbing Gear Discussion