Adventure Projects is hiring an Android engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

Ship Rock Access

Original Post
Curtis Baird · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 177

So I know the viaduct is closed right now but is Ship itself closed?  The CCC website says access is closed so that made me think that all access is closed.  But I have also heard about hiking from 221 or driving from the North.  Anyone know exactly what the CCC is referring to?

Brian Payst · · Carrboro,NC · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 10

I probably need to reword the info on the web site a bit, that came verbatim from the park service and I can seee how it might be confusing. The viaduct and trails there are closed, but you should be able to get to ship from the north (Boone). Note that they may close sections of the parkway around there, so check the map linked on the closure notice as it will give you a real time update on what sections are open. 

Curtis Baird · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 177
Brian Payst wrote: I probably need to reword the info on the web site a bit, that came verbatim from the park service and I can seee how it might be confusing. The viaduct and trails there are closed, but you should be able to get to ship from the north (Boone). Note that they may close sections of the parkway around there, so check the map linked on the closure notice as it will give you a real time update on what sections are open. 

Thanks for the info Brian, is it alright to park on 221 and hike up?  Not sure the proximity to the viaduct by doing that.  I just want to make sure I’m not in any closed areas.

You should be able to park at the Wilson Creek Overlook (milepost 303.6) and walk down the parkway from there. Rough Ridge parking lot is milepost 302.8, so it doesn't add all that much to the approach and there won't be any traffic. I updated the wording on the web site as well. Thanks for pointing that out.

I talked to the parkway ranger this weekend, rough ridge is still open as well. The gate is by Wilson creek. So, coming in from the north the approach is just like always. 

Russ Keane · · Asheville, NC · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 150

Hi gang,

I'm a little confused.  Coming from the south, is there a way to park on 221 below Rough Ridge and scramble up to the Parkway?   Or do we need to drive all the way around to the next  access point north and then drive back down the parkway to Rough Ridge parking.

Brian Abram · · Celo, NC · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 478
Russ Keane wrote: Hi gang,

I'm a little confused.  Coming from the south, is there a way to park on 221 below Rough Ridge and scramble up to the Parkway?   Or do we need to drive all the way around to the next  access point north and then drive back down the parkway to Rough Ridge parking.

If you know where Sunken Treasure is, you can park there on 221 and hike uphill past that, as Sunken Treasure is basically a lower tier of Rough Ridge/Ship Rock

Russ Keane · · Asheville, NC · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 150

Brian,

Thanks.  This was totally easy.   Just go uphill past the highest piece of rock at Sunken Treasure.  In 3 minutes you see the roadway structure of the parkway.   Go left, duck under the road, come out the other side and voila, you are on the road.  From here, cross the bridge and find the access trail up to the cliff as always.

If you don't know about ducking under the bridge, or don't try it, you end up walking WAY far to the right thru thorns and brush, until the support structure lessens to 4 feet and you can jump onto the road (almost to the hiking trail parking lot).  Then you have to walk back again that whole distance.   So the bridge/troll move saves you 15-20 minutes.   You don't even have to crawl!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Ship Rock Access "
in the Southern States