Mountain Project Logo

Getting from Seattle to Mt Rainier

Original Post
Taylor Anderson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

We have a group of 3 needing a ride from Seattle to Mt Rainier for a climb, and then returning a few days later to Seattle. Any pointers/tips/suggestions as best solution to do so? We don't want to have to rely on a rental car, as it will just sit for those few days as we climb. One shuttle service I contacted wanted $150/hr, and while an Uber seems a little more reasonable based on the estimate it gave me....not sure I want to rely on that for returning. Our return date will also not be set in stone, as the length of our stay on Rainier will depend on weather conditions allowing for us to complete the climb.  

....as I'm typing this, realizing a rental car might be our only choice, but just wanted to hopefully get some input from either a local or someone who has had the same conundrum.

Thanks!

Allen Sanderson · · Oootah · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,145

Get a rental car I have left one at all of the major entrances (Carbon, White River, and Nisqually)... if you luck out (or not) with weather you can hop in the car and head off somewhere else.

Jacob Wolniewicz · · Seattle, WA · Joined May 2016 · Points: 48

Rental car would definitely be the best solution. I usually don't have cell reception where you park for any of the major routes. Letting some one know to come get you I suspect would be very hard without a satellite enabled device.

sandrock · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 115

Rental car.  people always leave cars at the trailheads for days.

Taylor Anderson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Thanks for the responses everyone. Rental car does allow for much more freedom & after getting some quotes, much cheaper than what I was expecting. Will be going that route!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Getting from Seattle to Mt Rainier"
in the Pacific Northwest