Adventure Projects is hiring an Android engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

Best Climbing Stores Around Rumney?

Original Post
Will Bland · · Halifax, NS · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 315

Driving along the east coast down from Canada. Any suggestions on good climbing stores to hit up along the way, or around Rumney?

From a quick google, the closest REI is over an hour in the direction we are not coming from!

losbill · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 130
International Mountain Equipment in North Conway, New Hampshire.  If you are lucky Rick may wait on you.  Luckier still he might tell you a story or two. 
Brent D · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 167

There is an EMS in Concord (about 45 mins south?), but EMS has been reducing their climbing selection recently to the point where there isn't much in-store.  If you need any non-basic gear they probably won't have it. As mentioned, IME is good but on the other side of the White Mountains.

DRusso · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2014 · Points: 710

Outdoor Gear Exchange is one of the best if not the best climbing shop on the east coast. IME is also a great shop, as is the Mountaineer in Keene NY.

petzl logic · · Montreal, QC · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 0

Outdoor Gear Exchange is going to be a little out of his way coming from Nova Scotia, but yea, it is a great shop and there are some awesome deals there right now with the remodel.

jdejace · · New England · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 5

What are you looking to buy? Going anywhere besides Rumney? 

Alpenglow outside of Bangor is probably on the way from NS, that's a pretty cool shop. There's also an EMS in Portland. 

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

if you hit Acadia on your way to rumny  there is a climbing shop in Bar harbor but probably not open until their guideing season starts? 

Andrewww · · Concord, NH · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 625

+1 on what Brent said. The EMS in Concord has a sad selection of climbing gear. IME is your best climbing shop on the way in NH hands down.

Padraig · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 100

Another recommendation for IME in North Conway.

I don't really consider REI or EMS climbing shops, but if that is the level of shop you want to check out, Lahout's in Lincoln might be the closest similar shop to Rumney.

tuckercowles · · Franconia, nh · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

The lahout’s summit shop in Lincoln, about 30 minutes north of rumney, also has a decent selection. Also I believe the sport shop on Main Street in Plymouth sells the rumney basics.

Josie Benson · · Tiverton, RI · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

Ad in the Rumney guidebook tells me that Plymouth Ski and Sports, approximately 8 miles from Rumney, carries climbing gear.

Ward Smith's book is phenomenal, and I highly recommend getting one if you haven't already!

Josie Benson wrote: Ad in the Rumney guidebook tells me that Plymouth Ski and Sports, approximately 8 miles from Rumney, carries climbing gear.

Ward Smith's book is phenomenal, and I highly recommend getting one if you haven't already!

We definitely have it!

Thanks for all the recommendations everyone!

Looking to buy a new pair of climbing pants, and girlfriend needs a new pair of Solutions.

Think we're going to hit up Alpenglow outside of Bangor on our way through!

If your going through bangor you should climb @ acadia. really special. don't know if there is any sport. everything we did was mixed or straight gear. 

Nick Goldsmith wrote: If your going through bangor you should climb @ acadia. really special. don't know if there is any sport. everything we did was mixed or straight gear. 

All weather dependant ! Either way we'll be making a trip there in the summer. Just got my first rack! Going to try and rip up to cathedral ledge for Thin Air during this trip. 

there is some really good moderate stuff at precipice and a nice well protected 5.6 at great head that is about 100 times more pleasant than thin air ;)

Nick Goldsmith wrote: there is some really good moderate stuff at precipice and a nice well protected 5.6 at great head that is about 100 times more pleasant than thin air ;)

very true. New goal instead of Thin Air; The Story of O at Precipice !

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Best Climbing Stores Around Rumney?"
in the Northeastern States