Mountain Project Logo

Problem with Adding Routes?

Original Post
James Witowsky · · Bend, OR · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 95

I may be missing something simple but I started to contribute to MP by adding some routes that I have climbed and are not listed in MP.  I can see the routes I added when I am signed in but they are not on the public pages.  Do routes need to be approved by someone? Do I need to hit some "publish" button or something to finalize the entry?  Can someone let me know if there is a common mistake with entries?  Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
James

Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 3,441

i see several routes you've posted: https://www.mountainproject.com/user/110072129/james-witowsky/contributions

They should be live immediately - no need to "publish" or anything else.  I did just change the way routes are added, so perhaps something isn't working right - what makes you think they're not public?

· · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

I think rei is editing the content. They deleted a whole paragraph from my post, it was nothing offensive just a recommendation for a glue with a link. 

Nick Wilder wrote: i see several routes you've posted: https://www.mountainproject.com/user/110072129/james-witowsky/contributions

They should be live immediately - no need to "publish" or anything else.  I did just change the way routes are added, so perhaps something isn't working right - what makes you think they're not public?

Thanks for the reply Nick -interesting.  A friend of mine couldn't see the added routes nor do I see it if I log out and search.   I haven't checked my older additions lately but my most recent (last week) wasn't showing up as of today.  It is Wafer Wash on Prophesey Wall in St. George.

Jeff Luton · · Ventucky Ca · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 5

If you’re using the app version maybe try updating your state (area, whatever it is now)

kenr · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 14,741

Yes I'd guess that's what's happening:
The new route is immediately added to the MP database, and it can be viewed immediately on the MountainProject.com _website_ (using the web browser on a friend's phone).

But the new route will not show in the MP phone _app_ until the MP database generates the next update for that geographic area - (could be several days?). And your friend also then downloads + applies that new update.

Ken

Thanks Jeff an Kenr, that is probably the issue.  Shortly after creating this thread all seemed right...of course.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Discuss MountainProject.com
Post a Reply to "Problem with Adding Routes?"