Mountain Project Logo

NJ or PA DWG Status

Original Post
neils · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 20

Does anyone know the status of climbing in the DWG?  I've hiked there many times but never climbed.  I'd be interested in checking out the Tammany or Minsi side.  Some of the routes here on MP look pretty cool.  Maybe when it warms up a bit but before the vegetation really comes in.  Is this still the best/only guidebook besides what is here on MP?  https://www.amazon.com/Rock-Climbing-New-Jersey-Regional/dp/1560447907

Thanks for any info.

Jamie Severini · · Jersey · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 5

Stoked to see this thread. Where are you from? I'm currently in Newton. I climb at the gap all year long, early spring and late fall really are the best. You'll find a ton of routes in that book, many of which probably haven't seen an ascent in quite a while. The routes that do get climbed are fairly clean and less vegetated than the others by a considerable amount.The rock quality is good but it can definitely get adventurous. 

Climbing on Minsi has falcon closures from February all the way through early August. Helmets are 'mandatory' and it's in your best interest to not skirt that rule. On the busiest day I've seen there was a total of 4 parties including myself. Unfortunately, the solitude that comes from few climbers is lost by the sound of the highway. This is really only an issue on the Jersey side , but expect communication on the lower routes to be difficult.

Feel free to hit me up for more specific beta. Also, on weekends be there by 10a.m or expect the closest lots to be filled with hikers

Cheers

neils · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 20
Jamie Severini wrote: Stoked to see this thread. Where are you from? I'm currently in Newton. I climb at the gap all year long, early spring and late fall really are the best. You'll find a ton of routes in that book, many of which probably haven't seen an ascent in quite a while. The routes that do get climbed are fairly clean and less vegetated than the others by a considerable amount.The rock quality is good but it can definitely get adventurous.

Climbing on Minsi has falcon closures from February all the way through early August. Helmets are 'mandatory' and it's in your best interest to not skirt that rule. On the busiest day I've seen there was a total of 4 parties including myself. Unfortunately, the solitude that comes from few climbers is lost by the sound of the highway. This is really only an issue on the Jersey side , but expect communication on the lower routes to be difficult.

Feel free to hit me up for more specific beta. Also, on weekends be there by 10a.m or expect the closest lots to be filled with hikers

Cheers

thanks.  I ordered a used copy of the book - should give me some more info.  Didn't know about the closure on Minsi - so looks like it is the NJ side until fall.  I always wear a helmet ;)  Yeah I've hiked there a lot - I usually get an early start and do some kind of red dot, fire road, sunfish pond, dunfield or AT loop - by the time I get back to my car the lot is pouring with people.  A friend and I were looking to climb somewhere new, besides the gunks, and do a few 5.3 - 5.6ish multipitch routes.  Seems like there are several options for that kind of day.

Jason Goodman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2015 · Points: 10

I've climbed a few routes on both sides as well, if either of you ever want to meet up for a day out let me know! always looking to get over there (when I can find someone able to climb or at least belay).  Personally I prefer Minsi just because it feels more secluded than Tammany.  The fact that you can hear the highway all the way up the wall on the Tammany side and it feels like its right there I'm not a huge fan of.  Either way fun climbing to be had on both, good luck!  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "NJ or PA DWG Status"