Mountain Project Logo

Camping at New Jack City

Original Post
Evan Gates · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 3

How crowded does the campground at New Jack City get? Think there's any chance of getting a spot on a Friday night? Any good alternatives if they're all full?

Carey De Luca · · Yucca Valley, Ca · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 10

I was there last Friday night.  Lots of offroaders and families.  We got a spot around 5:00, but all of the covered spots with tables and firerings were taken.  That was also a holiday weekend.  There were only a handful of climbers so we gpt on everything we wanted.  It was nice!

Don B · · Gardena (South Bay) · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 20

Generally, I’d say you have a pretty good chance to get one of the proper spots with a ramada, fire pit and table, but there are always the unofficial sites too. They are legal since it’s BLM land but they’ve been cleared out. They are very obvious. You’ll get a spot one way or the other. 

drjman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 2,406
Don B wrote: Generally, I’d say you have a pretty good chance to get one of the proper spots with a ramada, fire pit and table, but there are always the unofficial sites too. They are legal since it’s BLM land but they’ve been cleared out. They are very obvious. You’ll get a spot one way or the other. 

Just an FYI to everyone, NJC area is designated wilderness and not “BLM” in the true sense (across the 247 from new jack is real BLM and you can dry camp anywhere). 

All of the non Ramada sites are not legal sites and continued use will draw unwanted attention from the BLM. 
All of the rules are posted on the sign on the way in. Camp in the designated Ramada, numbered sites only. Anything else risks overreaction from BLM. 
If there aren’t spots available, just go to the other side of the 247 by the off road kiosk and past that is real BLM camping. 
John Hegyes · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2002 · Points: 5,038
drjman wrote:

Just an FYI to everyone, NJC area is designated wilderness and not “BLM” in the true sense (across the 247 from new jack is real BLM and you can dry camp anywhere). 

This statement is not true. New Jack City is not in designated wilderness. It's at least 10 miles away from the nearest wilderness area (Newberry Mountain Wilderness). NJC is in fact on BLM land. I don't know where drjman gets the idea that it is not on BLM land.

I have no idea if you can legally camp at the sites without ramadas. But none of the New Jack land is wilderness, that's a fact.
Don B · · Gardena (South Bay) · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 20

I’m not sure what to think now. I guess camp at the unofficial sites at your own risk. I’ll have to do some research before going out there next time. 

drjman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 2,406
John Hegyes wrote:

This statement is not true. New Jack City is not in designated wilderness. It's at least 10 miles away from the nearest wilderness area (Newberry Mountain Wilderness). NJC is in fact on BLM land. I don't know where drjman gets the idea that it is not on BLM land.

I have no idea if you can legally camp at the sites without ramadas. But none of the New Jack land is wilderness, that's a fact.

I didn’t say it wasn’t BLM. There are special restrictions placed on Sawtooth Canyon, just like many other BLM campsites and special conservation areas.  You can’t camp where you want in New Jack. It clearly says so while entering the campground. Fires only in rings, no shooting within a half mile, no off roading, cant remove or move plants, rocks, etc. 

Sawtooth Canyon is a small wilderness area. The kiosk by The Land Time Forgot pullout goes over it. There is no info online. 
You want real BLM? Check out the Stoddard Wells OHV area around Slash X. 
Before New Jack had its campground built, it was true BLM land with a murder, lawlessness and people doing whatever they want. 
It’s been a great thing. Just check out satellite images before and after the renovations.  The desert is/was slowly rebuilding itself. All of these new “sites” are ruining all the progress the that has been made to restore NJC to its natural self. 
The issue right now is there is no enforcement.  Now, I want the government to stay as much out of the way as possible, but clearly, as soon as they stopped regularly showing up and the camp host left, the place has gone to shit. I’m afraid of drawing attention to the current state of affairs and want to prevent any overreaction. 
Lzpup Brewster · · santee, ca · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 35

You can always go across the street and find a spot. Probably better to not start just camping anywhere, the spots are somewhat spread out, It would be a bummer to see a trend start of people packing it in. I did not notice on my last trip out there , people were making spots. Personally, i loved how you could get some space from people

Locker · · Yucca Valley, CA · Joined Oct 2002 · Points: 2,267

"The issue right now is there is no enforcement"

Problem solved then.

Camp where you want.

:-)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Camping at New Jack City"
in the Southern California