Mountain Project Logo

Pittsburgh urban climbing thread

Original Post
Ryan McDermott · · Pittsburgh, PA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 95

This classic could use an update. Post here!
Urban Blight: A Rock Climber's Guide to Metropolitan Pittsburgh​​​

Tom Thomas · · Pittsburgh · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 2,555

Ryan,

Thanks for sharing never knew this existed.. However it seems like Joe and company were the top rope (A-0)) hero of the 90's running around from bridge to bridge Cool for sure however no real work was done or risk of loss or investment to considered any single route truly established or classic.. Also keep in mind most if not all the areas mentioned have access issues and Mountain Project and or the internet are not the place for questionable or illegal climbing activities or areas. .

-Tom Thomas

Ryan McDermott · · Pittsburgh, PA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 95
Tom Thomas wrote: Ryan,

Thanks for sharing never knew this existed.. However it seems like Joe and company were the top rope (A-0)) hero of the 90's running around from bridge to bridge Cool for sure however no real work was done or risk of loss or investment to considered any single route truly established or classic.. Also keep in mind most if not all the areas mentioned have access issues and Mountain Project and or the internet are not the place for questionable or illegal climbing activities or areas. .

-Tom Thomas

Exactly, Tom, every area has access issues. They are private property. Buildings mostly. Only climb them if you are willing to interact with people and ask permission first (or later). If MtnProj is not the place for this, I stand corrected. 

Ross Ayer · · Southington, CT · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 60

Ryan, I agree with the fact that the detail that climbing in these places is very challenging access wise, but I do think that the document has a great deal of sentimental and historical value.  Thanks for sharing!

Chris Urtz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0

Love the climbing guide! When I went to Pitt I used to climb some of the bridges at Schenley park. Not sure how legal that was, but the access was easy. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Pittsburgh urban climbing thread"