Mountain Project Logo

Eulogy for Savannah Buik

Original Post
Doug Hemken · · Madison, WI · Joined Oct 2004 · Points: 6,167

This beautiful remembrance was in Rock & Ice today:

R&I Making a Difference: Remembering Savannah Buik

Remembering Savannah Buik

Chet Butterworth · · Chattanooga · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 475

Likewise, you can donate to the American Alpine Club via the Savannah Buik Memorial Fund here. Savannah was an acquaintance, a friend of my friends. The ripples of her loss are palpable.

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1,698

This is heart breaking. I didn't know her,  but by all accounts she was a wonderful person,  and a positive influence on those who did know her.  My condolences to all those impacted by this tragic loss.

Sean Peter · · IL · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 80

Reposting from a previous thread. Thank you for starting this new one.

I knew Savannah not as a close friend - but part of a circle of friends I climb with, trading laughs and frustrations on boulder projects and training plans and random bits of life. Climbing is not just the rocks and the movement, but the people you share that with- and we've lost part of that with her passing. I found her always to bring a brightness and style to the day. As a father of two kids, one of them a 10 year old girl, I had always hoped that when my daughter was a bit older that she could get a chance to know Savannah and learn from her - from the perspective she had growing up and confronting the loads of challenges that present themselves these days, and how she came through them as her own unique woman.  If you've not read her blogs, or heard her sing, or heard her on podcasts, or found her stoke on instagram or facebook posts I hope you get a chance to. In addition to the smiles and laughter, she inspired with strength- and the ability to tackle this world in a personal and powerful way. Though my daughter will not get a chance to have her as a role model and learn from her in person, I hope I can pass on a bit of that through the spirit Savannah has shared with us.  My heart goes out to her family, and to the wonderful, wonderful friends that were up there with her during such a difficult day.

Jess Arnold · · Minneapolis, MN · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 302

Though I didn't know Savannah - I only corresponded with her via Instagram once or twice - I felt like I knew a part of this radiant young woman, who was extremely eloquent and candid in sharing her life. The ability to reflect on one's struggles just as much as one's successes is a quality I, and I'm sure many others, admire. Part of my daily social media intake was watching her Instagram stories, in which she documented her stoke for the local Chicago music scene, the gym where she worked, her climbing pursuits and so much more. She was someone who showed that you could be a climber and more - so much more - as someone heavily invested in culture, health, connectivity and creative pursuits.

As a fellow young woman in the Midwestern climbing community, I just assumed that I would meet and climb with her one day. Her path was one I could relate to and look up to, and I'm crushed that roping up together will never be a reality. My condolences to her family, friends, coworkers and the Devils Lake climbing community.

She was going places, through climbing and beyond. I hope her bright legacy encourages more young women (and everyone) to overcome their demons and chase their passions through the pursuit of what gives them life.

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,510

A link to her blog: savannahbuik.com

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Memorial
Post a Reply to "Eulogy for Savannah Buik"