Mountain Project Logo

Yosemite bum resole

Original Post
· · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

Any one got their rand shoes fixed there recently? I just noticed the way they fix rands. Do the shoes feel different after the resole? That is a big part of the rand removed 

Kris Fiore · · Burlington, VT · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 1,796

I have mine on the way back from them now but I've had shoes resoled at two different places and never had them come back feeling the same. Even if all it needed was rubber. I just assume whatever I get back is going to be a flatter version of what I sent out but with a nice crisp edge.

They never are the same.  I just didn’t see anyone else doing that to the rands, it seems extreme for a small hole in the rand. 

caughtinside · · Oakland CA · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 1,450

Rand replacement generally involves a fresh strip of rand rubber, or a toe cap.  I haven't bothered resoling shoes that need rand work in forever, because it changes the shoe, and pushes the cost closer to that of new shoes.  

Paul L · · Portland, OR · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 175

I've used them for resole and rand repair at least six times. I can't compare them to anyone else as they are the only company I've ever used, but I've always been extremely happy with the work they've done. Shoes may feel a touch tighter after the work, but not uncomfortably so and seem to loosen up after a session or two.

Joe LeMaster · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 50

I have also used Yosemite Bum for several resoles and have mostly been really happy with their work. My only advice would be to make sure you make clear that you want a down turned or flat lasted shoe in the order form, I once got a pair of the new Five Ten Quantums resoled and they originally have a slight downturn but when the came back they were flat as a pancake. I returned them and they said they would try to add a downturn but they weren't the same afterwards. However, whenever I send my Miuras in they always come back perfect. 

Kris Fiore · · Burlington, VT · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 1,796

I just got two pairs of Shamans back from Yosemite Bum and they are no doubt the best resole I’ve ever gotten. The fit is still perfect and they are somehow just as downturned as new. The old Shamans in the picture there are actually on their third sole. It might be because they are Evolv products but these are no doubt the best resoles I have ever seen.

(Full disclosure, yes I’m an Evolv athlete but no that’s not impacting my opinion. These are just hands down perfectly resoled.)

Kango L · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

To tack onto this thread. Anyone ever had the double rand added on? Thinking of doing this on a pair of gym shoes.

Kango L wrote: To tack onto this thread. Anyone ever had the double rand added on? Thinking of doing this on a pair of gym shoes.

That will make the rand as thick as the sole. Might not be a good idea because your foot will be farther away from the rock and not be able to put as much weight on small holds. Also, rand rubber is not “sticky” rubber plain rubber that is not as good to use it for smearing. La Sportiva wraps  the sticky rubber from the sole over the edge of the toe 

There reason I asked was because I was curious of what you end up if you take that much rubber of a shoe, lets say La Sportiva and resole it on a Evolv last. Is it still a La Sportiva shoe? I assume that all the lasts Yosemite bum uses are Evolv. 

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,535

I only ever send Evolv shoes to Yosemite Bum and the work is impeccable because they're on the factory floor getting re-done. I don't think i'd send any other brand, though....

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,365
JulianG wrote: There reason I asked was because I was curious of what you end up if you take that much rubber of a shoe, lets say La Sportiva and resole it on a Evolv last. Is it still a La Sportiva shoe? I assume that all the lasts Yosemite bum uses are Evolv. 

2/10

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Yosemite bum resole "
in the Climbing Gear Discussion