Mountain Project Logo

Houston partner: gym or outside

Original Post
Langley DeWitt · · Houston, TX · Joined Sep 2007 · Points: 10

Hi, just moved to Houston last month! I've been out of regular climbing for a while but have a climbing trip coming up this summer and need to get back into reasonable shape. Would be great to at least find a regular gym partner for motivation. Anyone in a similar boat in Houston (or Katy, I work in the energy corridor but live in the loop) that wants to meet regularly for climbing? Have personal gear, some trad and sport climbing great but no rope.  Lmk! 

Tradgic Yogurt · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 55

I've heard good things about the new Katy gym... leaving aside from the fact that it's in Katy. Hope you're contra-flow!

Mike Slavens · · Houston, TX · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 35

Langley-

First welcome to the Houston, hope you like oppressive humidity.

I also work in the energy corridor, live in Katy, am a regular at Momentum Katy, and am always looking for regular partners.  If you're willing to drive out to Katy I'm there nearly every Tues/Thurs after work.  I can't say enough good things about the Momentum Katy gym.

I get outside on the weekends as I can.  Not so much May-ish through September-ish though.  It just gets too hot for most of the day to justify the 2.5+ hour one-way drive time very often.  I have way more gear than anyone could ever need to get outside in Texas when the opportunity arises though.

I'd recommend checking out Momentum Silver Street if you haven't already.  It's bouldering only but started up group fitness classes recently and is very active.  I'd also recommend joining the Austin Climbing Facebook page.  MP.com isn't very active in Texas.  The Austin FB page is going to have way more traffic for climbing outside and even for Houston area isn't bad.

-Mike Slavens 719-2138-5544

PatrickJG · · Houston, Tx · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 0

Hello Langley,

I'm also relatively new to Houston and looking for partners for weekend trips outdoors. During the week I mostly boulder at Momentum Silver Street Studio. I've climbed out at Reimers a few times and have my own gear.

Cheers,

Patrick
346-770-5868

Ethan Higgins · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 30

Hey guys!

I just moved here too - looks like some of us are in the same boat!

I'll be heading out to the crags around Austin as the weather gets a little less oven-like. Patrick and Langley (or anyone else reading this :), feel free to PM me if you're still looking for a partner to get outside with. There's some fun DWS up there too when you just can't beat the heat. 

Best,
Ethan

Langley DeWitt · · Houston, TX · Joined Sep 2007 · Points: 10

Well I apparently decided to post this then never look back at it. But I'm still in Houston and climb at Katy and silver street after work some (looking to go more, have trip to horseshoe Canyon planned next month) so let me know if any of you are still up for climbing together! 

Ethan Higgins · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 30

Haha I think because the rocks are so far away none of us are on MP very often... anyways, I'll be heading to silver street tonight for a session before going to Free Solo if any of ya'll want to join?! Get some stoke going for a Fall of sends!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Texas Partners
Post a Reply to "Houston partner: gym or outside"