Mountain Project Logo

Wichita bouldering topo

Original Post
Ado Mars · · Luzern, CH · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

We will stop at Wichita Mountain for a few days on our way going west. Can anybody help us out with a copy of an overview of the area, infos about best areas for bouldering etc.

I know there is a new guidebook and buying it is a good thing to support the local climbing, but since we stay there only a few days, I'm sorry  ... :-)

And also where can we buy a rope? Any shops in the area?

thanx Ado, Switzerland   ado.mars@hotmail.com 

Blakevan · · Dallas, TX · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 55

Not a fan of FaceBook but the OKC climbing group is very helpful.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/43671805216/

Ryan Maitland · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 65
Ado Mars wrote:

We will stop at Wichita Mountain for a few days on our way going west. Can anybody help us out with a copy of an overview of the area, infos about best areas for bouldering etc.

I know there is a new guidebook and buying it is a good thing to support the local climbing, but since we stay there only a few days, I'm sorry  ... :-)

And also where can we buy a rope? Any shops in the area?

thanx Ado, Switzerland   ado.mars@hotmail.com 

You can head to the Wichita Wildlife Refuge HQ; there’s a gift shop there that if I recall correctly sells the guidebook. They might not, but even so it may be a food resource to ask for directions. You can either buy it or read it to get some beta on directions before heading in...

The climbing areas are fairy dispersed and you need to drive between them, so picking an area and sticking to it for the day is probably a good idea. Mount Scott is likely the easiest to find and to find climbing, although the narrows is probably the most expansive, scenic and fun (busy too). 

Chase Webb · · Little Rock, AR · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 340

For bouldering, Mountain Project is probably the most complete database out there for the Wildlife Refuge. This guy Ryan was going to make a guidebook, but he has some info in his old blog: http://oklahomabouldering.blogspot.com/ There used to be a gear shop in Medicine Park, but I can't imagine it is still open. If you are going through Oklahoma City, stop by Backwoods or one of the climbing gyms for a rope, you may even be able to convince an employee there to show you around the refuge. If you are going solely for bouldering, I would suggest Quartz Mountain, the problems are all in a much closer proximity, easier to find and generally of much higher quality. A lot of them are even covered in the new guidebook! Like Blakevan said, OKC Climb can be helpful too.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Wichita bouldering topo"
in the Midwest