Mountain Project Logo

Bouldering + Sport Climbing = SPOLDERING?

Long Ranger · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 669
don'tchuffonme wrote:

I wish I was much stronger.  Then I could walk up to a 30 year old route, do a hard boulder traverse into the first bolt and call the whole thing an FA.  And have my sponsor make a high quality production of it. 

Meh, I mean, it's his job to make silly videos of him climbing stuff. I think he's paid some dues to get where he is. If you're jealous of someone's paycheck for being an American pro climber - you really shouldn't   

don'tchuffonme · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 26
Long Ranger wrote:

Meh, I mean, it's his job to make silly videos of him climbing stuff. I think he's paid some dues to get where he is. If you're jealous of someone's paycheck for being an American pro climber - you really shouldn't   

Fair point I suppose.  The only thing I'm jealous of really is his skill.  He has definitely paid dues, and seems like a pretty humble and psyched individual- certainly not trying to come down on Paul, after all, he wasn't the one that claimed this was an FA in the first place.  

There's just something about the "flashing lights" nature of the SECOND ASCENT of a NEW ROUTE that really isn't new, and is essentially just a really hard boulder problem tacked onto a route, and peddled by a powerhouse manufacturer in the form of a high end vid doesn't sit well with me.  YMMV.

Russ Keane · · Salt Lake · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 392

"Honestly the route looks really short so they should just grow a pair and climb it without a rope,"

Viper, gotta call you on this one.   It's not as short as you think, else it never would have been bolted.  Don't be ridiculous and start bagging on people for using a rope on a 40-foot hard ass climb.

I liked the video.  Pretty cool to climb a V14, and then pretty creative to go higher and start clipping bolts.   Sexy style, I say kudos.   

J Squared · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

I imagine the climbers in the OP had a similar discussion as this thread.  they did a thing and had to decide what grade to name it.

so there was some back and forth... and much gnashing of teeth.  and they end up saying... 'well it's 14d' 

and here we are, with the back and forth..and the gnashing of teeth..

the cycle of life continues.  and the dudes didn't die.

---

meanwhile,  this is the future of climbing 

GEAR! -whuhh.. Good God, Y'all..  what is it good for?  "absolutely nothing" ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxqR6iclHAU 

sans chalk bag enroute even.. a respectful move to the Nature, of not wanting to spray chalk

Kevin Pula · · Denver · Joined May 2012 · Points: 20
Melanie Shea · · Colorado Springs · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 10

When you called The Roped part moderate but prehang your draws

climberish · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 10
Greg Shea wrote:

Its not a true red point then right?

Sam D · · CA · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 150
Greg Shea wrote:

Can't boulder with draws on your harness.  It's bad form, dude.  

JohnReg · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 10

I love when they show him tying in. Is that a rope? Gasp!

M Alexander · · SLO, CA · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 22
don'tchuffonme wrote:Take the high grade off it for perspective.  What if some gumbo did a V5 traverse into a 5.8 that had been there for 30 years and called it a 5.11 FA?  They'd be laughed off the planet.  Especially if they made a video production of it.

That's how all of climbing works. If you climb 5.8 in a traditionally bolted area and there is a run-out, tough. Get better. 

If you climb 5.12 or higher, you can slam bolts as you please into your project. 

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610

What's the big deal? It's called a "Link up". 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Bouldering + Sport Climbing = SPOLDERING?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started