Mountain Project Logo

Climbing el cajon mountain this sunday... will I find any shade?

Original Post
dsauerbrun · · Boulder · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 55

Hi all, I'm coming to visit SD and my partner is psyched on doing some bolted multipitch. El cajon mountain seems like it has plenty of moderates(she probably will only be leading 10b at her max and I can lead up to 11a) which would be nice but everything appears to be south facing.

I'm going to guess that 75 degrees and sunny is going to be pretty miserable so I was hoping to get some beta from locals on where to find some shade.

pcass · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 0

Sunday is looking warm. All the bolted stuff on the main wall gets sun almost all day. If you want to climb some trad, crackamite is a dihedral and gets shade until about noon. Otherwise the mountaineers wall gets afternoon shade. Corte Madera is sunny as well but it is generally a few degrees cooler out there, it might be a better call. Have fun.

Joshua Dee · · San Diego, CA · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 30
dsauerbrun wrote:

I'm going to guess that 75 degrees and sunny is going to be pretty miserable

Lolol

DionAkers · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0

Hard no on this one dude. The sun hits the face almost all day. If there are scattered clouds it might actually be ok though, as long as you get it early. I’ve clombed ECM 5-6 the last few years and always hike before dawn to climb from sunrise to lunch. Its worked out well for me so far. Happy trials!

rusty pitoune · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 765

dsauerbrun wrote:

Joshua Dee wrote:

Lolol

double lol

pcass wrote:

Sunday is looking warm. All the bolted stuff on the main wall gets sun almost all day. If you want to climb some trad, crackamite is a dihedral and gets shade until about noon. Otherwise the mountaineers wall gets afternoon shade. Corte Madera is sunny as well but it is generally a few degrees cooler out there, it might be a better call. Have fun.

Unfortunately I didn't pack my rack... Just the nuts :(

Where can I find some beta on the mountaineers wall? I can't seem to find it in mproj

Also I checked out corte Madera and  sunset streaks looks like it'd be cool to do. Anyone know if that falls under the bird closures?

Joshua Dee · · San Diego, CA · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 30

It might be on climbingtoposofsandiego.com, but I'm not sure and I can look at my SD Co. guide and relay that to you tonight or tomorrow

claudio ricardez · · ESCONDIDO · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 55

Corte Madera is awesome but you have to take into account the time to hike in if you don't have 4x4.

Would recommend it if you can make it out there though, great climbing on Sunset Streaks

I would pack some stuff to spend the night if you can and make the hike more worth it, lots of awesome boulders and scenery to enjoy as well.

Abogado Chris · · San Diego, CA · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 1
dsauerbrun wrote:

Unfortunately I didn't pack my rack... Just the nuts :(

Where can I find some beta on the mountaineers wall? I can't seem to find it in mproj

Also I checked out corte Madera and  sunset streaks looks like it'd be cool to do. Anyone know if that falls under the bird closures?

Sunset streaks definitely falls under the bird closure, don’t do that route or any of the routes near it on the west side of the wall.

See https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5411559.pdf

Other closures for San Diego are also listed on the MP page for San Diego County, you just need to be on the desktop version not the app version to see the links. 

As for the mountaineers wall of El Cajon, I did not see that in the SD Guide Book or on the online climbing topos http://climbingtoposofsandiego.com/ maybe there is some retro naming going on there? Or it could be newer development, I am not familiar enough with El Cajon to know. 

Fat Dad · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 60
amockalypsenow wrote:

dsauerbrun wrote:

double lol

Make that a triple lol.  75 and sunny sounds about as good as it gets.  

Kemper Brightman · · Tucson · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 2,071

I've climbed ECM on many 75 + degree days (even a couple 80+ degree day) and can verify that it is dumb. The only way to make it (slightly) less dumb is to do the hike before the sun rises and already be on route as the sun starts peaking over the ridge. You'll probably want to be done climbing by 9am, so if you're efficient you could climb one of the classic moderates and get back to the car by 10am. This option is still pretty dumb. 

If you're really looking for shade I'd recommend the ultra-shady period between 7:00pm and 7:00am when the earth's rotation results in a large shadow being cast on this exact position in the western hemisphere.  

Sounds like a beach day... 

looks like a high of 65 on sunday now. climbing moderates in the sun should be bearable! thanks for all the beta... if we end up dying of heat exhaustion you guys have free reign on calling us idiots on the "Injuries & Accidents" thread.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern California
Post a Reply to "Climbing el cajon mountain this sunday... will…"