Mountain Project Logo

What to do when I find a spinning hanger?

Original Post
Jackson Chambers · · Springville, Utah · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

Do I just leave it be? Should I bring a wrench to the crag to tighten them when I find them? Should I tell my local shop? Find someone to replace the bolt? I've hung on several spinners, but just feel a little sketched out when I do. Should I? 

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,535

If the bolt itself is loose, you should tighten it if you can. Don't crank down on it, snug is fine.

If the hanger is spinning and the bolt is super tight, its fine, although it should be put on the local council's radar for eventual replacement.

If the bolt can't be tightened and it and the hanger are spinning, consider it marginal and in immediate need of replacement.

Benjamin Mitchell · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0
John Wilder wrote:

If the bolt itself is loose, you should tighten it if you can. Don't crank down on it, snug is fine.

If the hanger is spinning and the bolt is super tight, its fine, although it should be put on the local council's radar for eventual replacement.

If the bolt can't be tightened and it and the hanger are spinning, consider it marginal and in immediate need of replacement.

Hey John you're involved with the bolting at Red Rocks right? I noticed the second bolt on Caustic was spinning freely when I was there a few weeks ago. It's probably fine but it seemed spooky since the spacing is such that a climber could take a bad ground fall if that bolt ripped out.

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,535
Benjamin Mitchell wrote:

Hey John you're involved with the bolting at Red Rocks right? I noticed the second bolt on Caustic was spinning freely when I was there a few weeks ago. It's probably fine but it seemed spooky since the spacing is such that a climber could take a bad ground fall if that bolt ripped out.

Once upon a time I was, but not so much these days. The local council has a bad bolt sticky in the Nevada forum, though.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Fixed Hardware: Bolts & Anchors
Post a Reply to "What to do when I find a spinning hanger? "