Adventure Projects is hiring an Android engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

Another Climbing Town Post...

Original Post
Eric McAfee · · Winter Park, FL · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 0

Need some help here, everyone :)

First post on MP! I’ve been reading all of the previous threads on ideal climbing/mountain towns and figured some fresh advice may help. My wife and I currently live in Orlando, which makes throwing darts at a map a relatively efficable way to find a better climbing/outdoors situation. I’m working towards being a fireman, she is an elementary school teacher; I figure we should be able to make that work in most locales. 

We are looking for a small-medium sized town with 30min to 1hr access to bouldering and sport climbing (maybe even some trad eventually) and a good gym close by for during the week. I also consider nearby areas important, where 4-8 hour trips can put you in other world class destinations. I would prefer some seasons and even snow, as in Florida this is something I feel I have been missing... We were just in Chattanooga and dug the vibe, but if we are relocating anywhere, we want to be near real mountains and “grandeur”.

I’ve been researching Wenatchee a lot, and it seems to fit most of the bill, but something keeps telling me to keep looking in CO. I love the idea of having climbing in the backyard while still being near GT, JT, Yosemite. The landscapes in WA seem absolutely breathtaking and perfect for backpacking and hiking as well, but perhaps a bit removed from the rest of the scene? I’m also nervous about there being no University/Cultural magnet.  Neither of us are particularly left or right, but we value higher education and accessibility to it. The biggest fear in CO, however, is the slew of posts discussing it as overcrowded and astronomically priced with no intention of curbing that trend...

Other places I’ve been looking:

Golden

West Side of the Cascades (not really a mountain town...)

Tucson or Flagstaff

Lander - though I think this may be TOO small for us.

We would both appreciate any advice out there! Thank you so much in advance!

Eric

Mark E Dixon · · Sprezzatura, Someday · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 569

Eric, if you want anybody to see this, you should post in a different forum.

Community doesn't show up on the front page, so it never gets seen by most people.

Edited to add- Colorado is a long way from Yosemite and JT. 

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,795

Is there a reason why you're not mentioning anywhere in the NE US? If you think CO is "near" Yosemite and JT, then you would consider the NE absolutely packed with sport/trad/ and ice venues. My part of NY is within your stated driving range of  everything from the New River Gorge and Seneca to the Adirondacks, ice in No. VT, and White Mtns of NH. And the large metro centers might be better for a professional firefighter than some small town.

amarius · · Nowhere, OK · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 20

Lexington, KY is close to the River River Gorge.

Charleston, WV is close to the New River Gorge, Coopers, Seneca.

Dankasaurus · · Lyons, CO · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 85

Possible options which are not Mtn West:

North Conway, NH or other towns nearby for great trad, sport, skiing, and mountaineering.

Asheville, NC, or other towns nearby.

Dankasaurus · · Lyons, CO · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 85

Mtn West Options which might be affordable and less crowded:

Bend, OR

Boise, ID

Bozeman, MT

Dave Hug · · Carbondale, Illinois · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 8,705

Southern Illinois

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Another Climbing Town Post..."
in the Community Forum