Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

General Climbing Season Stoke Thread

Original Post
Hayden Brown · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

Heck! I am stoked for climbing to being in Bozeman! Where do you dirtbags go to in the early season to find dry rock? I’ll even climb wet rock within reason... 

Zach Wahrer · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 5,497

Right there with you! Good to see the sun again. :-)

We hit up Practice Rock the other day, and it was mostly dry. Bit of snow still left on the approach, but nothing major. I've heard good things about Hellgate Gulch this time of year, but haven't been out that way yet. Red Cliff Campground is also another sunny option, although with all the snow they just got recently, it might be waterfalling again.

Chad Miller · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 150

I’m looking forward to climbing in Montana period. We move to Great Falls in two months or so.

Andrew Benov · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 0

Bouldering in whiskey proper, or other areas of the butte boulder batholith is amazing early season! Welcome to Montana!

Chad Hiatt · · Bozeman, Mt · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 85

It's on and off for a bit, but there's plenty of dry rock.  We were able to climb mostly dry rock on Gallatin Tower on Friday before the fresh snow.  It will likely be dry again after a sunny warm day.  Someone should set up a tyrolian near the bridge so we can hit up scorched earth while the bridge is out!

Mike-Mayhem · · Bozeman. MT · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 60

A right of passage to become a Bozeman local is to grovel your way up the Pigeon Shit Express (standard route) of Neat Rock in the Madison Valley. Something about stuffing your hands in bird shit and the smell that comes with that really helps feed the stoke for the upcoming climbing season.

In all seriousness, its a pretty good route that gets a lot of sun. The last pitch roof is pretty fun and a little sandbagged!

Shane Forsythe · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 0

Winter Wall on the Madison is always a good option for sunny days this time of year. Southern exposure and short approach. The wind tends to blow a lot on the river.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Wyoming, Montana, Dakotas
Post a Reply to "General Climbing Season Stoke Thread"