Mountain Project Logo

BD Hoodwires bent

Original Post
Anarkissed d · · Denver, CO · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 1

Just wondering if anyone else has had problems with the BD hoodwire quickdraws. My girlfriend and I found that two wire gates on two separate quickdraws were bent and no longer close properly. We were climbing single pitch trad and didn't have any significant falls or loading so I can't think of any reason why this would've happened.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275

You'll get more response if you post photos of the culprits!

Al Pine · · The 'yack, NY · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

Yes, I retired a relatively new hoodwire recently. The gate bent just enough not to close properly. I don't think it happened climbing though. Airport baggage handlers may have been rough with my bags.

Anarkissed d · · Denver, CO · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 1
FrankPS wrote:

You'll get more response if you post photos of the culprits!

Different biner shown in each photo below,

Bottom for reference

Right for reference

Douglas Kempthorne · · Cincinnati, OH · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 140

I have two hoodwires I recently retired, one looks exactly like your bent gate one. It actually sticks open pretty wide. The other just doesn't always close fully. Can't attribute it to anything specific other than maybe a recent whip (but nothing memorable). No TSA baggage handling.

A little disappointed but I supposed that's the cost of lightweight.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275

The wires didn't just bend on their own. I'd think that they were subject to a force from handling, packing or falling. Maybe they're overly fragile, but I haven't experienced that with my Hoodwires.

Like Douglas implied above, a wiregate is going to be more susceptible to bending than a solid gate. Highly doubt it's a defect.

Shepido · · CO · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 50

Are you certain that they got bent on the day you were using them? I can see something like this happening and not noticing for a few pitches. Do you have any idea where these were used? You said single pitch trad, but did you have bolted anchors etc? Was the route wandering? Just trying to imagine scenarios where the gate was cross loaded against a small piece of rock maybe while rappelling etc, even just a bodyweight load on a sharp edge of a rock may bend them possibly (speculating). I have the same and no problems (but all sport and ice for me).

SeƱor Arroz · · LA, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 10

Looks to me like they were cross-loaded and worked the way they were supposed to, anyway.

Cor · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 1,460

Bent when tensioned over a rock lip?

rob bauer · · Golden, CO · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 3,279

It doesn't look crimped to me, so I'd probably just gently bend it back into shape and continue using it if the action was good.

In the old days, if a solid gate was a little offset and wouldn't close, folks would hold em down and give a little counter-pressure until they worked again.  We lived.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "BD Hoodwires bent"