Mountain Project Logo

Zion southern camping

Original Post
zimick · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 0

Have a few days that have opened up and was hoping to head down to Zion for some hiking and exploring but... all gov campsites show fully booked.

Is there a way to do walk ins? And if so what are my chances? 

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Z

Stan McKnight · · AZ · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 261

A group of sites at south are walk in. Check out is 11 and check in is 12 so if you get there early (say 9 or 10) you can usually get one. Go to the rangers station and they will take care of it

Stan McKnight wrote:

A group of sites at south are walk in. Check out is 11 and check in is 12 so if you get there early (say 9 or 10) you can usually get one. Go to the rangers station and they will take care of it

Stan, mixed message here as the website references walk in and the phone message says all reserved... lol... couldn’t be our wonderful, underfund the outdoors gov?

Travis James · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 105

I used to work concessions in the park, to my understanding they have most sites under reservations and a small number for walk ins- you could try your luck to circle the campground early and pick up a walk in site IF people are leaving theres, but that sounds like a waste considering there are numerous free- albeit 'primitive' - camping options in the area w/ public restrooms a short drive away in town- do a search here or on google and you'll see.

stolo · · Shelby, NC · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 191

I was there last week and there were plenty of free campsites, but the gov site said none :(

edit: free as in open, no one there

stolo wrote:

I was there last week and there were plenty of free campsites, but the gov site said none :(

edit: free as in open, no one there

Well I guess I will try to piggyback on your luck! Thanks for the input. Z

Stan McKnight · · AZ · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 261
zimick wrote:

Stan, mixed message here as the website references walk in and the phone message says all reserved... lol... couldn’t be our wonderful, underfund the outdoors gov?

South campground has a number of walk in sites that are not reservable online and come available as people leave. Other sites come reservable online 2 weeks in advance. Watchmen sites come reservable online something like 5 months in advance. So for the 20 or 30 walk in sites at south campground you can usually get one if you come early and with a little luck 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Zion southern camping"
in the Southern Utah Deserts