Mountain Project Logo

weird inflamation response

Original Post
djh860 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 110

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this.  Years and years ago I injured my rotator cuff affecting the  subscapularis which i feel on the front of my shoulder.  Its mostly fine but occasionally it lets me know it's still there but I wouldn't describe it as painful.  I consider it healed and have for years.

Recently I injured my infraspinatus (rear of the shoulder) and after a few wonky days the area became inflamed warm to the touch very stiff and very painful.

So here is the weird part when the swelling came in both injuries became very painful and stiff and warm.  I clearly did not hurt the subscapularis again.  Yet it has been killing me.

It appears to me that once the inflammatory response took over it ran a little wild and started breaking down scar tissue wherever it found it in the area, basically reactivating on an old injury.

This is not the first time I've thought my inflammatory response has been out of control.  I think that I may have an outsized response regularly.  

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this?

https://www.slideserve.com/benjamin/shoulder-joint-glenohumeral-joint

Al Pine · · Shawangadang, NY · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

I experienced something similar a few years ago and my doc recommended Zyflamend for healthy inflammation response. I swear by this stuff:

https://www.newchapter.com/products/herbals/zyflamend-whole-body/

Doug Chism · · Arlington VA · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 45

So I dont have your history of injury but I also injured the rear of my shoulder recently ( feet cut out suddenly, held on out of stupidity, yanked my shouder strait upwards, did not dislocate ). 

As of now the portion to the rear is coming along nicely with PT but the front of my shoulder bothers me nearly as bad as right after injuring it. I think that injuring the rear can sometimes simultaneously injure the front as well since its a ball-socket joint. 

Just a thought - perhaps its not the old injury but something that you did at the same time?

As a contrast, when I had a minor surgery on my arm this year, my ankle ( which I injured last year - bone bruise - healed ) swelled up. So its certainly posslble that it is the old injury as well. 

I guess my point is, you should probably get it checked out to rule out an actual injury to the front. 

As far as supplements and ibuprofen and such, when I have had an out of control inflammatory response those things never provided much benefit, only temporary improvements while they were in my system. The only thing that has worked for me is a short course of corticosteroids. They actually knocked the response out long enough for my body to forget about it and move on. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Injuries and Accidents
Post a Reply to "weird inflamation response"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started