Mountain Project Logo

The Glass Menagerie Rack?

Original Post
Gage Holbert · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

Look for a good rack description for aiding the Glass menagerie at Looking Glass. Thanks! 

Brian Payst · · Carrboro,NC · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 10

None of the pitches are super long, so you don’t need tons of gear. Set of nuts, including small wires, cams up to #3 with doubles is really helpful. You don’t need offsets (at least we didn’t). Getting off the belay into the dihedral pitch is kind of a pain, but it can be done without a hook, just use a brass nut or something small to get to the bolt (or a cheater stick). Beautiful route. Enjoy!

Heavy on the J · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

And a #4 for the wide fists section on the second to last pitch

Andrew Medlin · · Baltimore · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

Brian is spot on. I did GM a couple months back and cam wise I only used doubles up to a #3 C4 and one #4. Offset cams were helpful but not mandatory. I also used a hook once or twice but only out of convenience. I brought cam hooks but didn't use them.

I did the C1 P2 traverse and found it great. The 5.8 P2 version didn't look appealing. 

Brian Payst · · Carrboro,NC · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 10

Second vote for the C1 P2, it's really nice and great practice for dealing with traverses on aid. Go up off the good ledge at the end of pitch one and the climb the obvious traversing crack / flake system. You end up at a hanging belay which is kind of awkward until the leader gets up a bit, but it's much nicer climbing than the 5.8 pitch.

Barrett Pauer · · Brevard, NC · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 775

If you are trying to stay in your aiders as much as possible, hooks and double #4s are nice 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "The Glass Menagerie Rack? "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started