Mountain Project Logo

Guidebooks for Albuquerque

Original Post
Tyler Sawicki · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 5

My wife and I are super excited to be moving to ABQ next month. I've noticed there's a plethora of different guidebooks for different areas all over New Mexico.

Anyone have any recommendations for any guidebooks worth investing in? Or am I better off just sticking with MP?

Thanks in advance!

Ken Jones · · Grants, NM · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 80

Get Sandia Rock by Mick Schein. Although the book does not cover all the routes in the Sandias it is still worth having. The other guides are not up to date and MP has better beta. That being said I do have the other guidebooks and still use them.

Chris Re · · Boise, ID · Joined Apr 2003 · Points: 15

definitely, make friends and go with a local. I was amazed at the difficulty of getting to routes in the Sandias.  

We would go under a tunnel cat claws to be deposited at base of the climb. Guidebook or not, I don't think I would ever found these routes without other people

Tyler Sawicki · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 5

Thanks! I'll have to make a friend when I get into town. Is the Falcon Guide for New Mexico as a whole worth getting?

Ken Jones · · Grants, NM · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 80

The Falcon guide isn't very good. Hit me up when you get to town, I don't know all of the routes in the Sandias but would be happy to climb with you. You can also take a look at my books and decide which books would be most useful.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Guidebooks for Albuquerque"
in the Arizona & New Mexico