Adventure Projects is hiring an Android engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

Chattanooga neighborhood shopping for house

Original Post
Lisa Haze · · Brooklyn,ny · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 40

Hey all! I'm looking to buy a house that would be a good investment to sell in 3-5 years, possibly more.  I'm looking for a safe neighborhood that will get even better in the next few years. I'm looking for a modest 3 bedroom house, maybe around 1500 sq feet and around 150k-175k in price. I'm not rich and I don't want a mansion, so I know signal mountain is out. I've heard Red Bank is a good place to buy; not too expensive and it's getting even better.   I dont want close neighbors either. i'm leaning towards north of the city because of the climbing oportunities up north (red, new, obed) What are your thoughts? suggestions? Thanks in advance for all your help!p

jason mcfadden · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 10

i am in a very similar situation. did you find out anything helpful?

No. Just gonna wing it. When are you movung?

jason mcfadden · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 10

november/december
you?

Graham Stein · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

I'm in Highland Park and I love it. I bought a fixer upper for under $100k, but there are lots of recently refinished older homes in the price range you're talking. It's rapidly growing in value and has a great neighborhood feel and beautiful homes, but it's not the absolute safest area.

Hayden Brown · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

Talk to Chattanooga Property Shop... they help you out. 

Warrior · · Rock City, GA · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 310

Carl Buch is another great resource.  (423) 215-5198 He is an agent and he knows the climbing around here quite well. 

jason mcfadden wrote: november/december
you?

May 24

I've been looking in red hook, hixson. But I'm also seeing some stuff east and slightly north. Nearb153. But from what I've read those areas can be spotty. I found a good agent. He seems to listen, is not pressuring me into getting a pricier house or doing things his way. And we get along. I can give you his info

Graham Stein wrote: I'm in Highland Park and I love it. I bought a fixer upper for under $100k, but there are lots of recently refinished older homes in the price range you're talking. It's rapidly growing in value and has a great neighborhood feel and beautiful homes, but it's not the absolute safest area.

Thanks I'll look into it 

DanielHart · · Carpinteria ca · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 5

Depending on work I’d look in Soddy daisy, Dayton or even ooltewah. There are a few areas on signal mountain you may be able to get a home for that too. 

eli poss · · Durango, Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 442
DanielHart wrote: Depending on work I’d look in Soddy daisy, Dayton or even ooltewah. There are a few areas on signal mountain you may be able to get a home for that too. 

DON'T get a home on signal. The people there are like 95% rich snotty assholes. And their dumb asses have banned climbing on public land even though there is some really great rock up there. And, depending on how it plays out with signal wanting to secede from the Hamilton County school system, property values might become unstable.

If you're looking for somewhere that's going to increase in value, imo you should look into Redbank and Hixson as well as around the base of signal. Over the past decade, those areas of town have been gradually become more and more alike to north chatt so I would guess that their value is going up.

Also, redbank and the bottom of signal are both going to be close to T-wall and closer to all the climbing in soddy daisy. Soddy would also be a good area to look at if you're wanting to get some acreage.

Having lived on Signal, Redbank, bottom of signal, and Hixson my choice based on your criteria as well as proximity to climbing would be Redbank, closely followed by the base of Signal. I lived on Runyan Drive for a few years and I would imagine you could find a nice humble abode there, and it's definitely a quiet area. Also within nice walking distance of all the resturaunts and stuff in the strip mall by Walmart. 

Thanks for the input. The market is dumb hot right now so it was really hard just to get an offer in. But I managed to find a home in hixson on the east side. Not my dream home but it'll do for now. :) good solid starter home. Btw. If anyone know anyone looking to rent a room please let me know! I appreciate it!

Adam Jordan · · Chickamauga · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 5
Lisa Haze wrote:If anyone know anyone looking to rent a room please let me know! I appreciate it!

How much will you be charging for rent?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Chattanooga neighborhood shopping for house"
in the Southern States