Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

CA Hwy 50 conditions - lover's leap, sugarloaf

Original Post
grabski · · N California · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 105

Anyone been up there recently? Is the leap climbable? Or perhaps sugarloaf since it's a little lower?

I no longer live in the area so haven't been through this winter, but I'll be visiting South Lake Tahoe this upcoming weekend (Mar 24). A couple weeks ago I figured there might be a good chance climbing would work out. But now I hear it's been a snowy March, and there's a storm forecast later this week. Maybe at least sugarloaf is staying warm enough that it'll be rain, not snow? 

Perhaps I'm just getting desperate.

Goran Lynch · · Oakland, CA · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 6

There has been about 200 inches of snow at 8k feet in the last 30 days. I don't know about Sugarloaf specifically, but I wouldn't be optimistic. I'm pretty sure the Leap is buried.

Mike McL · · South Lake Tahoe, CA · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 1,580

Lots of snow at the leap now.  Snow coming this weekend, supposed to snow to lake level starting Thursday.  It’ll probably be raining as opposed to snowing at sugarloaf but looks pretty wet this weekend. If you’re desperate the face climbs in the sun at the loaf might be dry enough Sunday if the sun comes out. 

GizzardJones · · Rancho Cordova,CA · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 385

Bring yer snow shoes for the loaf approach. Multiple feet right now!! 

David S. · · San Francisco, CA · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 10

The late winter gives and it takes. Highway 50 corridor above Kyburz has got plenty of accumulation currently (and plenty more inbound between now and Saturday (that's Phantom Spires specifically, but I'd bump totals up)), as others have said.

Well there ya go. Sounds like wintertime at the loaf and above. The forecast has now updated to precip Saturday and Sunday too, for Kyburz at least. Guess I'll be sticking to winter sports.

Thanks for the info.

Tim Opsahl · · SF, CA · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

The sunny days of January and early February now seem oh so far away... 

Nate Tastic · · Sutter Creek · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 10

I'm assuming it's dumping up there right about now.

Yeah it was pretty darned snowy up there. I drove by on Monday 3/26 and there was plenty of snow at both the leap and sugarloaf. A couple feet on the ground, and a good bit of snow sticking to the cliff face. 

That said it was quite warm and already melting, so shouldn't be too long before it's free.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "CA Hwy 50 conditions - lover's leap, sugarloaf"
in the Northern California