Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

Is this aid?

Original Post
Nate Tastic · · Sutter Creek · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 10

eli poss · · Durango, Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 484
Nate Tastic wrote:

So it is controlled by movement of the big toe? I wonder how long it will be before scientists figure out how to program prosthetics to be controlled by neurological impulses like normal limbs. I don't think that will necessarily work for additional limbs because the brain doesn't have the existing programming needed for that, but for amputated limbs the brain is already prepared to make those motions. 

Maybe they create some kind of hat to wear that picks up electrical impulses in the brain and is sensitive enough to identify the specific messages directed at certain motor functions. Or maybe some kind of implant into the spinal cord. Who knows

ViperScale . · · McMurdo Station, AQ · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 240
eli poss wrote:

So it is controlled by movement of the big toe? I wonder how long it will be before scientists figure out how to program prosthetics to be controlled by neurological impulses like normal limbs. I don't think that will necessarily work for additional limbs because the brain doesn't have the existing programming needed for that, but for amputated limbs the brain is already prepared to make those motions. 

Maybe they create some kind of hat to wear that picks up electrical impulses in the brain and is sensitive enough to identify the specific messages directed at certain motor functions. Or maybe some kind of implant into the spinal cord. Who knows

They have already created head piece years ago to let people control a mouse for a computer so I am sure they could probably make it work for new limbs too.

eli poss · · Durango, Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 484
ViperScale . wrote:

They have already created head piece years ago to let people control a mouse for a computer so I am sure they could probably make it work for new limbs too.

Soon enough they'll be integrating that technology with IM and were going to be effectively telepathic. Telekinesis might be a bigger challenge, though. 

Allen Sanderson · · Oootah · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,187
eli poss wrote:

I wonder how long it will be before scientists figure out how to program prosthetics to be controlled by neurological impulses like normal limbs. I don't think that will necessarily work for additional limbs because the brain doesn't have the existing programming needed for that, but for amputated limbs the brain is already prepared to make those motions. 

It has been happening for a while but is still has research and clinical work to be done before it is truly available. Here is a lay article with good video.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/21/technology/a-bionic-approach-to-prosthetics-controlled-by-thought.html

I actually started in that research direction for my Ph.D. but got sided tracked and went another direction.

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 334
eli poss wrote:

Doc Brown already came up with this ca. 1955.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Is this aid?"
in the General Climbing