Mountain Project Logo

Team Tough Bolt Products North America

Original Post
Bobby Hutton · · Grizzly Flat, CA · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 1,153

It seems like it is really easy to jump on the internet and complain bitterly when some company or sales person screws us over, but a little harder to remember to share positive experiences. With that in mind I would like to share a positive interaction that I had with Dave Quinn over at Team Tough. 

I placed large order of twist bolts and pig tails. Dave let me know he was out developing routes but that he had some bolts with him and he would drop some in the mail to partially fulfill the order. They arrived a couple days later and unfortunately they were the wrong size. I let Dave know and he more than made it right, fulfilling the whole order as placed and throwing in the $500 worth of bolts that were sent to me by mistake. Throughout the whole process he has been excellent about communicating the status of my order. I was very pleased with the customer service that I received. 

Product wise I am also impressed. All the bolts I have inspected look good, no quality control issues. I ordered the largest size that they offer (8mm x 150 mm) and those bolts are super beefy, the largest commercially available climbing specific glue in bolt I am aware of. I am sure they are overkill but the price is so reasonable I figured that it was worth it. Over all the prices were comparable or better than anything else on the market and they offer bulk discounts as well. 

Eric Engberg · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 0

DQ is one of the most stand-up guys I know,

Alan Emery · · Lebanon, NH · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 239

Dave is one of the most upright climber have met and one of the most honest man I have dealt with.  He is down to earth, humble and one of the hardest climbers I know.  Good to see him setting routes I only dream of climbing.

Jim Titt · · Germany · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 490
Alan Emery wrote:

He is down to earth, humble and one of the hardest climbers I know.  Good to see him setting routes I only dream of climbing.

Nearly spat my coffee over the keyboard reading that! Don´t ask him about last weekend in the Frankenjura, we didn´t get half way up any of the routes and we´re talking 5.9 here  

Jim Titt

Bolt Products

Germany

Jim Titt wrote:

Nearly spat my coffee over the keyboard reading that! Don´t ask him about last weekend in the Frankenjura, we didn´t get half way up any of the routes and we´re talking 5.9 here  

Jim Titt

Bolt Products

Germany

If Dave was in Germany climbing with you, then it is like I said, he's humble and probably didn't want you to feel bad at your home crag!    

Jim Titt · · Germany · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 490

He´s always humiliated me before, not that that´s difficult.

Should of saved the Pilsner until after the climbing!  Either that or your 5.9's must be like our 5.13's   

Ira OMC · · Hardwick, VT · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 273

I heartily recommend buying bolts here too.
I've only bought hangers alnd wedge bolts but they are  cheaper than fixe and have a more rugged look to them . There are pages and pages of information on the website.
https://team-tough.com/

Jim Lawyer · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 6,116

I love their cool anchor hardware. I’ve had great experiences with them. 

David Morgantini · · London, United Kingdom · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 5

I have nothing but love for team-tough and Dave as well.  Super upstanding company/dude/product.

Bobby Hutton · · Grizzly Flat, CA · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 1,153

I just got my third big order in the mail from DQ. Always a pleasure working with him and for the glue ins it is hard to beat the twist bolts. 

ed esmond · · The Paris of VT... · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 0

Nice, it's always great to hear some "Quinny-love" going around in these weird times...

We all need that positive DQ energy.

ed "team creampuff" e

Matthew Jaggers · · Red River Gorge · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 695

Dave is the man. One of the nicest people I've dealt with in the climbing industry. Wish everyone could be more like Dave!

Ira OMC · · Hardwick, VT · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 273

Sounds like a pretty solid consensus.  First time ever on MP for people to all agree: This is where to buy your bolts. 

Frank B · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 0

Totally like Dave and the bolts.  and always thankful for Jim's insight on here.

I for one am not finding that BP's Twist 6mm bolts have any interference fit in 1/2 holes.  They just slide fully in.  Seems you may need a 12mm hole.  Anyone else running into this?

Jimmy Jam · · CA · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 0

Nothing but positive experience! Still installing product I’ve purchased and plan on buying more.

RJ B · · Basalt, CO · Joined May 2017 · Points: 333
Frank B wrote:

Totally like Dave and the bolts.  and always thankful for Jim's insight on here.

I for one am not finding that BP's Twist 6mm bolts have any interference fit in 1/2 holes.  They just slide fully in.  Seems you may need a 12mm hole.  Anyone else running into this?

Definitely have interference in the last 1/4" or so. This is going into soft limestone with a 1/2" SDS bit. 

Maybe just the last lot you had was different or has this been with all of them you've received?

mattm · · TX · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 1,885
Frank B wrote: I for one am not finding that BP's Twist 6mm bolts have any interference fit in 1/2 holes.  They just slide fully in.  Seems you may need a 12mm hole.  Anyone else running into this?

Every now and then I’ll have that happen. I suspect it’s because the bit bounced around more than usual at the start due to an awkward stance or something. Almost never a big deal. If on really steep terrain you can pre fit them and make sure they all have some interference. I’d rather a tad loose than too tight (I’ve had waves botch when they stick way too soon). 

Jesse Morehouse · · CO · Joined May 2006 · Points: 1,975

Whenever I place a wave (never by my own choice) I curse the fact im not using Dave's single leg bolts- they are awesome. I think it was Jim who recommended using a 7/16 bit with them- you can place a lot of bolts with one tube of glue using that setup! 

Matt Carroll · · Van · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 249

Another happy customer here. Just plugged some twist bolts in our local sporty scene and was very psyched both with the product and the quick ship from TT. I will continue doing business and encourage anyone to consider them for Bolting products! 

old5ten · · Sunny Slopes + Berkeley, CA · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 4,767
Frank B wrote:

another +1 for dave/ jim and twist bolts, also kevin and tai at Fixe!

a 12mm hole with an interference bolt will leave the 'hanger'/eye sticking away from the rock around a 1/3" +/- 

from what i gather from previous communication with jim (maybe he can chime in on this), this is probably not a problem in terms of final (glue set) strength (since the eye will deform anyway under heavy load), BUT it is definitely weird to look at especially from a regular climber population standpoint (many of whom aren't used to glue ins).

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Fixed Hardware: Bolts & Anchors
Post a Reply to "Team Tough Bolt Products North America "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started