Mountain Project Logo

Great Falls MT?

Original Post
Chad Miller · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 150

Yup, it’s another ‘tell me about an area’ thread. 

I may be given a job opportunity in Great Falls Montana. I was wondering what folks think of the area. 

I’m accustomed to living in smaller communities (160k) that have nearby access to all the normal outdoor stuff, backpacking, hiking, cc skiing, mountain biking, and climbing. 

Thoughts?

Bump?

ryanb · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 85

Great Falls is kind of out in the plains but lots of mountains within 2-3 hours. I'm a few hours from there and not overly familiar but from what I've seen, some gems to be found, sparse beta and lots of adventure to be had (read: getting lost more then climbing established routes). There are some Montana facebook groups for various sports/areas that might help. This recent post on one of them looks work checking out if you do go: https://www.facebook.com/groups/montanarockandiceclimbers/permalink/1723962137683019/

Dan Bachen · · Helena, MT · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 430

The Rocky Mountain Front is an hour (give or take) to the west. There are a few developed crags with a number of multi-pitch sport routes on the Front and some incredible backpacking in the Bob Marshal Wilderness beyond. To the southeast, the Little Belt Mountains have a surprising amount of exposed limestone and some quartzite, almost all undeveloped. Within 2 hours of the town, there are three smaller ski resorts, numerous trails, and abundant recreation opportunities. However as Ryan stated, GF itself is out in the flats surrounded by ranches and farms. The did just get a climbing gym though. I would not say that this is the town if you want to bike to the local boulders for an afternoon session, but if you are willing to drive on the weekends there is some incredible country in the surrounding areas. 

Nate K · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 225

Military and Old people mostly. There are better choices out there

Thanks for the responses. The firm I’m interviewing with is flying me out there to see the area so I’ll get some first hand experience. 

I’d love to stay here in Grand Junction, CO but the firms here are just horrible 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Great Falls MT?"
in the Wyoming, Montana, Dakotas