Mountain Project Logo

Looking for advice about the Petzle Sita harness

Original Post
In Denial · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 0

Although I think I have a fairly normal body I have a very difficult time finding harnesses that fit me. I’m 5’2” tall, about 110 lbs (depending on the season). Apparently I have a tiny waist and huge thighs because all the harnesses I try are too big in the waist and /or too tight in the leg loops. Couple this with the fact that I have a short rise...it’s been an ongoing problem since I started climbing. I currently use an XS  Petzle Hirundo (the rise is excellent!) but the leg loops have always been a wee bit tight unless I am under 110. It’s also looking pretty worn out. It seems like all the pro women climbers are in the Sitta harness. I think I am pretty similar in size to many of them (Sasha?) Since that harness costs a whopping $180 I am really hesitant to give it a try and none of the climbing shops in my area seem to carry that model.  Any insight into the fit of this harness?

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 793

Did you try on all the men's harnesses too? They have a shorter rise. All the men's and "unisex" (ha!) were way too big in the waist. I'm a flabby 30", more or less, so less when cinched up. 4' 11", 130ish pounds. 

I ended up with a CAMP Jasper, which works great. When purchased, I was about to head out for my first ice climb, so I was only interested in harnesses that unbuckled entirely, legs included. 

The Jasper has two waist buckles, which means you can keep it centered. It also has really long webbing, so if you can get it small enough in the first place, it should adjust to a lot of sizes.

Best, OLH

Aerili · · Los Alamos, NM · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 1,880

Never worn the Sitta, but if I were you I would look into a custom Misty Mountain harness. They have 2-3 women's models and you can combine one size waist belt with a different size leg loops. If you are going to spend a lot then might as well consider a custom option.

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 661

I love my Petzl Sitta, but find the sizing is a little weird.  I have a 32" waist and usually have my size medium cinched up most of the way.  The leg loops, on the other hand, are pretty small.  The rise is really annoying as well - I wish the belay loop was about 50% larger.

Adrienne DiRosario · · Troy, NY · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0

Try a DMM renegade men's harness. I'm slightly bigger than you and have plenty of room left to make it tighter. I can never wear women's harnesses due to the rise. I like that the belt itself moves within the harness so no matter how tight or loose you can always keep it centered. 

Ryan Swanson · · Pepedidnothingwrong, freejg · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 50

Don't get a Petzl harness unless you have ultra skinny legs.  I fill out a XL leg loop, but a large harness barely get tight enough around my waist.  It's not you, it's them.

Jay Eggleston · · Denver · Joined Feb 2003 · Points: 18,864

Try something with adjustable leg loops.

ltgelb · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 0

I had a similar issue with too large waist/too small leg loops. What worked for me was one of BDs harnesses with non adjustable leg loops. They do start small, but then they stretch out a bit after a few weeks of gym climbing and you're good to go. I'm bigger than you though, so I'm not sure how they do with small waist sizing on the xs.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Women's Forum
Post a Reply to "Looking for advice about the Petzle Sita harness"

There is ZERO tolerance for being a jerk in the Women's Forum.