Mountain Project Logo

Puerto Rico - climbing and lifestyle beta

Original Post
Nivel Egres · · New York, NY · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 130

It's is very probable that I will have to (or want to, depending on how one looks at it) spend some significant amount of time in Puerto Rico. 

Where is the outdoor climbing and how much of it is there? 

Where do I want to live? Do I want to rent/buy a house/apartment?  

Is there a climbing gym on the island? 

What do people do for fun and how easy is it to make friends (my Spanish is poor, but I'll work on it)?

Tony Bob · · Lakewood, OH · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 10

I almost had to spend three months in PR as part of a FEMA detail, before I finally ended up learning I was being sent to FL. But I did look into climbing. What I know for sure is that, yes, there is climbing. Much of it is established and bolted. A particularly major wall sits on private land but last I read the owner permits access and even rents gear. I saw there was also bouldering too. MP lists some information but you can easily find the rest online. The sticky part is having your own transportation, and based off of what I read at the time, it required an SUV. And that was before the storms wrecked much of the infrastructure. A FB group I was following was “Climbing Puerto Rico” for updated information. As far as housing, you might be restricted to San Juan. You going with a company or as part of some contracted recovery/reconstruction effort? Last I read, blackouts were still a problem. I don’t know that state of things though, I would imagine debris cleanup is still a huge issue as well as the ongoing humanitarian crisis. So not sure how available the local climbing community is at the moment. I think there was a small gym but it was either trashed or unavailable at the time. As for making friends, you’ll be in a place with desperate and stricken people. And based on what my fellow volunteers said, they are happy to have people to talk to and appreciate it.

Hobie Ponting · · Stamford, CT · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 1

https://www.instagram.com/climbingpr/?hl=en

Tony Bob wrote:

You going with a company or as part of some contracted recovery/reconstruction effort? 

LOL. I wish. I am simply being a true rich bastard and trying to optimize my taxes for an upcoming "liquidity event". 

RandyLee · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined May 2016 · Points: 5

The guys at Aventuras Tierra Adentro sell digital guidebooks, and if you call or email them, or just drop in they can hook you up with local guides if you need it. I didn't have a partner and had very limited days off while I was there, so I hired a guide to make sure I could get out, it turned out he was one of the people who helped develop the area. Super knowledgeable, gave me phone numbers for a few other people to climb with if I had had more time.  http://aventuraspr.com/rock-climbing/

RandyLee wrote:

The guys at Aventuras Tierra Adentro sell digital guidebooks, and if you call or email them, or just drop in they can hook you up with local guides if you need it. I didn't have a partner and had very limited days off while I was there, so I hired a guide to make sure I could get out, it turned out he was one of the people who helped develop the area. Super knowledgeable, gave me phone numbers for a few other people to climb with if I had had more time.  http://aventuraspr.com/rock-climbing/

That sounds pretty good, thanks for it! I am planning a trip there in the next few weeks, will definitely hit them up.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

International
Post a Reply to "Puerto Rico - climbing and lifestyle beta"