Mountain Project Logo

Temps and Layering

Original Post
Hannah Spendlove · · Reno, NV · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 15

Hey! My name is Hannah and I am a total gear hoarder, and I feel like I am always getting into long conversations about layering up for the cold. Of, course I have my own system and preferences for skiing,and ice climbing, but I wanted to hear from other ladies in the community what are layering up with? Do you usually run hot or cold? What's one piece you can't live with out? 

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 582

I come to this from couch potatoing, about three years ago, so I started from scratch. Zero stuff, zero knowledge.

"Layering 101" was the thread I launched back then, abd I got lots of super helpful responses.

Now? I'm two winters in, with my first ice climbing trip this January. I can say, for me at least, lots of options really is the way to go. Weather changes, blood sugar changes, too much to list, means you need pieces to easily swap on/off moment by moment.

My most useful piece? One of the very first I lucked into. Used pair of full zip ski pants. Those go over just anything and everything, including street clothes. They even were used on a September climbing trip, where we woke up to snow on the tents! You can pop them on, unzip/zip and stay cozy with a lot of control for temperature. It's also a plus to not have to struggle in and out of "pants" of any sort. Being able to completely undo both sides and the waist was huge! No need to take off boots to get them on.

My boots for ice climbing are tied for first, then would be the belay jacket purchased from an MP guy. The pockets are amazing! Again, it goes over everything, even a helmet.

Best, OLH

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Temps and Layering "
There is ZERO tolerance for being a jerk in the Women's Forum.