Mountain Project Logo

Does the FOMO ever subside?

Original Post
Tapawingo Markey · · Reno? · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 75

The last two winter storms here in the Sierra have sparked this feeling but I suppose it’s always been there quietly existing in my head. 31 years all I had to worry about was playing outside and feeding the dog, past couple years have changed dramatically. Living with a lady with boys ages 7 & 9, working full time at a job I (mostly) enjoy, but unable to get out and ski pow during the week due to an 8am start time at work and do the soccer/snowboard lessons thing on the weekends.

For parents out there, do you ever grow numb to the constant images of your friends  getting face shots on a Thursday afternoon or seeing your single pals out climbing on the regular? How do you manage this? I’m not salty, I’m psyched for folks getting after it but it does make one feel a little hollow inside. Tips? 

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

Just accept that you are destined for a life of misery and suffering and that you were not meant to enjoy life. Some people's fate is to have a rewarding and fulfilling life, while others experience pain and drudgery. Hope this helps.

Cheers!

FrankPS wrote:

Just accept that you are destined for a life of misery and suffering and that you were not meant to enjoy life. Some people's fate is to have a rewarding and fulfilling life, while others experience pain and drudgery. Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Ah, so you’re saying I should take solace in the fact that my pain and suffering is a sacrifice for others to get out and enjoy themselves? 

Very deep of you Frank, I never thought you to be much of a thinker.

Tapawingo Markey wrote:

Ah, so you’re saying I should take solace in the fact that my pain and suffering is a sacrifice for others to get out and enjoy themselves? 

Having a sense of humor would improve your outlook on life.

Peter Beal · · Boulder Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,825

OP, reset your goals, based on your life choices like family or face misery.   

Outdoor sports, especially if taken seriously, are a major timesuck and anyone who maintains that family and regular work are compatible with them is basically lying or not mentioning something else like doting grandparents nearby, very generous spouse, flexible schedule or plain old trust fund. "Balance" is a myth; frantic scrambling is closer to the truth.

FrankPS wrote:

Having a sense of humor would improve your outlook on life.

I do Frank, your comment made me chuckle. Maybe you just didn’t catch my sarcasm with the last comment. 

Tapawingo Markey wrote:

I do Frank, your comment made me chuckle. Maybe you just didn’t catch my sarcasm with the last comment. 

Yeah, I missed it. Flew right by me. I have decided you're right - I'm not the brightest bulb in the knife drawer. :)

Rich Brereton · · Pownal, ME · Joined May 2009 · Points: 175

You're missing out on a golden opportunity. As a full-time job holder and partner in raising kids, you have the power to make your friends feel FOMO ten times worse than your own. You can subject them to posts of your disgustingly perfect, fulfilling, secure civilian life AND your raddest moments of adventure, thus making them feel like losers for not having anyone waiting for them when they come home.

Peter Beal · · Boulder Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,825
Rich Brereton wrote:

You're missing out on a golden opportunity. As a full-time job holder and partner in raising kids, you have the power to make your friends feel FOMO ten times worse than your own. You can subject them to posts of your disgustingly perfect, fulfilling, secure civilian life AND your raddest moments of adventure, thus making them feel like losers for not having anyone waiting for them when they come home.

Hahahaha, yes! This is a totally legitimate tactic!

Doug Chism · · Arlington VA · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 45
Tapawingo Markey wrote:

I think he is saying its all in the way you look at things. Im sure a lot of people would think you have an amazing life, good health, good job, good relationship, family, hobbies that you love to do. A lot of people take whatever they get and chose to embrace it with a smile while others suffer through the same life as if it were a miserable existence. 

Garret Nuzzo Jones · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 1,436
Peter Beal wrote:

Hahahaha, yes! This is a totally legitimate tactic!

Remember: always try to use social media to make others feel terrible! It's the reason it was invented.

I often think about how great life used to be when I could take the winter off and be funemployed. Do whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. Then I remember not having a job, being worried about my next paycheck (or lack thereof) and knowning that the current course would mean never having more than a couple hundred bucks in my bank account. There's a leisure class on either end of the wealth spectrum.

germsauce Epstein · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 55

Divest thineself of the social media outlets.  Encase yourself in a smug blanket of complete unawareness of the radness that your family-less friends are getting into.   Do a 5 minutes fingers workout once a week (or 5 minutes of squats) and constantly tell yourself that despite not getting out much you are stronger than you've ever been and would completely crush this weekend, if only the kids didn't have a soccer tournament.  

beensandbagged · · smallest state · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 0

Enjoy what you are doing it is all temporary.... 

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11

Everybody is missing out on something. 

Forrest Carver · · Edgecomb, ME · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 150
Rich Brereton wrote:

Life-changing. Thanks for this!

Rich Brereton wrote:

This takes the cake. Thanks!

Tomily ma · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 525

What is fomo? Freedom of mountain offerings? Free olosay mountain nsighyoay? New belay device? Pas thong?!? I feel like such a newb! Do we want fomo? Or want it to give it away?!?

Tomily ma wrote:

What is fomo? Freedom of mountain offerings? Free olosay mountain nsighyoay? New belay device? Pas thong?!? I feel like such a newb! Do we want fomo? Or want it to give it away?!?

Do you feel like you’re missing out on something?

Tomily ma · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 525

Ahh. I’ve never heard it as an acronym. We’re all missing out on something. I’m just glad I don’t live in Somalia!

Russ Keane · · Salt Lake · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 392

I don't get it.   The kids aren't yours?   You took on a huge change and now you are feeing regrets.  

Take your life back.

Russ Keane wrote:

I don't get it.   The kids aren't yours?   You took on a huge change and now you are feeing regrets.  

Take your life back.

Ya I’ve contemplated that route, I generally feel satisfied. Hoping once the lady is done with nursing school we’ll have some more freedom to get sitters and/or bring the little ones with us on climbing trips. 

I’ll instagram the hell out of it out of spite for my single, wandering friends as mentioned up thread a ways and all order will be returned to my world.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Does the FOMO ever subside?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started