Mountain Project Logo

TO HELMENT OR NOT TO HELMENT..... THAT IS THE QUESTION!!!!!

Original Post
Daniel Behrend · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

whats ur guys opinions on helments

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275
Daniel Behrend wrote:

whats ur guys opinions on helments

Why do you ask? Make your own decision on wearing a "helment."

Peter Lewis · · Bridgton, Maine · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 160

Almost always. Stuff happens. (Update: when I was guiding I always used to have the group put on helmets at the point in the approach when we were "in the fall zone" from either falling rock or ice. And sometimes this was pretty early, and I'd get questions, and after explaining the inherent dangers, my tagline was always something along the lines of, "We're carrying our helmets anyway, might as well carry them on our heads." Still seems like good advice to me.)

FrankPS wrote:

Why do you ask? Make your own decision on wearing a "helment."

I'm pro helmet depending on the situation I'm just trying to see what other people think about them. lets just say for science :p

Franck Vee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 70

Dear god, Stephen Hawkings is barely dead that he's already rolling in his grave - random questions on the interwebs are not science!

Jake Jones · · Richmond, VA · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 1,649

I'm hellbent on helments.  Actually, I rarely wear one unless I'm in an area known for loose rock, there is likelihood of people above, or I'm doing a multi-pitch route.

C Archibolt · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 871

Get a nice lightweight helmet (like the BD Vector) and wear it. Shit happens.

Franck Vee wrote:

Dear god, Stephen Hawkings is barely dead that he's already rolling in his grave - random questions on the interwebs are not science!

OK OK GEEZ!!!! I just wanna see what peoples opinions are!!!! Why are u hassling me!!!!!

Jake Jones · · Richmond, VA · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 1,649
Daniel Behrend wrote:

OK OK GEEZ!!!! I just wanna see what peoples opinions are!!!! Why are u hassling me!!!!!

Breathe.

Jake Jones wrote:

Breathe.

;D

Franck Vee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 70
Daniel Behrend wrote:

What? Think about how hard it must be for Hawkings to roll. The real question is not why I'm harrassing you, the real question is why would you force a cripple to perform actions that are clearly very difficult for him?

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Daniel Behrend wrote:

Cause it’s something that’s been discussed to death a few thousand times and no longer needs any debate or to find out others opinions?

JFM · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,768

I’m more of a helminth guy, myself 

Aidan Raviv · · South Pasadena, CA · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 100
JFM wrote:

I’m more of a helminth guy, myself 

Really under appreciated joke here. Good work.

mountainhick · · Black Hawk, CO · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 120

OK, serious answer: Despite never having been hit seriously or hitting my head seriously in almost 40 years of climbing, statistically, it comes down to low potential risk/high consequence for me. My reasons for almost always wearing a helmet.

-EMT 35+ years, I have taken care of many head injury patients. Seeing the consequences first hand can change one's perspective on such risks.

-I had 2 personal friends and a couple other aquaintances who took unexpected leader falls, hit their heads and had serious head inurjies and in one case spinal injury. Arguable whether helmets would have prevented injury, but likely they would have reduced severity

-Shit happens and all it takes is a single momentary lapse of attention to fall with the rope behind your ankle/leg and you're going over backwards head first (granted, helmets are not specifically designed for this purpose, but I'll take the margin thanks). Or, likewise a rock is dislodged from above without you having any warning.

-I have been way too close to numerous rockfalls for comfort

-As belayer, even a dropped carabiner from far enough above above can fracture your skull

https://www.nkbv.nl/fileupload/Kenniscentrum/Materiaal/Climbing.com_Helmets_317.pdf

http://cruxcrush.com/2014/05/20/the-climbing-accident-that-almost-killed-me/

Sam Deshler · · Southern California · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 11

I'm pro-helmet as well.  Anyone else leave their helmet on during the drive home to?  

J-Moe · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 20

Wear it always.  Call me unlucky, or call it the joys of climbing in the front range, but I've been hit by a couple of pebbles, a dropped quickdraw, and an iphone. 

The iphone was tucked into someone's bra - it presumably slipped down and out the bottom of her shirt, bounced off a ledge and hit me 15' away from the base of the wall where I had just sat down with my sandwich.

Jim Turner · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 295

Have you ever watched a friend turn into a quivering, convulsing, unconscious bowl of jello right in front of your eyes?  One minute your laughing and having fun, the next minute it’s lights out and your lives are forever changed.

Paul Allen · · Mesa, AZ · Joined Nov 2008 · Points: 10

Always

Nick B · · Anchorage, AK · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 61

I always wear a helmet.   My experience in the medical field has taught me I don't ever want a serious head injury or TBI.  People end up with their personalities ruined and things like lifelong depression or rage issues afterwards.    My wife has instructions to divorce me and remember the real me died if something like that ever happens.  Watch this thread,just about anyone who has deals with TBIs on a regular basis wears a helmet........

Also I climb in the chugach/talkeetnas which means even the heavily trafficked 5 star routes are mega choss festivals.  Stuff is always coming down at you.

Noah Yetter · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 105

Always... except that one time I dropped it in the river just before roping up

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "TO HELMENT OR NOT TO HELMENT..... THAT IS THE Q…"