Adventure Projects is hiring an Android engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

Heavy mountaineering gloves

Original Post
Nick B · · Anchorage, Alaska · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 56

So I need a set of heavy mountaineering gloves for use on denali in May.   The standard option seems to be OR alti gloves vs BD guide gloves.    The alti gloves feel like they were designed for strange alien hands (and reviews of them seem to confirm this feeling is widespread).   Guide gloves are decent but still have some fit issues for me.   Any one any alternate suggestions for gloves in a similar warmth spectrum?

Michael Shelver · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 0

I had a few pairs of gloves on my trip to Denali but by far my most used gloves were a pair of Hestra Heli Ski gloves. I had a pair of BD guide gloves but had no dexterity whatsoever as was the same with the OR alti. I'm sure the Hestra's are slightly less warm but the fit/feel made them 1000% more usable on the mountain. Bring a nice pair of mitts for when it gets real cold. 

ConorCarroll · · Golden, CO · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 0

Truck m1 if looking for a guide look a like.  It might have a different fit than bd? 

Steve Bonneau · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 0

You will need both pairs. The Alti gloves are for summit day while the BD’s are great for mid mountain. 

https://www.alpineascents.com/climbs/denali/gear-list/

jg fox · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 5

If you want gloves with a similar fit to Black Diamond, look at Rab's offering.  They have the icefall gauntlet gloves that are lighter than the Alti's but better fit and dexterous.

They also have a nice discount with the American Alpine Club now too.

Hestras sound nice if you aren't doing anything technical.

Nick B · · Anchorage, Alaska · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 56
Steve Bonneau wrote:

You will need both pairs. The Alti gloves are for summit day while the BD’s are great for mid mountain. 

https://www.alpineascents.com/climbs/denali/gear-list/

You are reading that list wrong.  They recommend alti mitts for the summit ( already have the mitt thing figured out). Guides and alti gloves are generally about the same. Thanks for suggestions!   Any others are welcome too!  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Heavy mountaineering gloves"
in the Climbing Gear Discussion